To prune or not to prune -

Dilz

'd like some feed back from others out there regarding a conversation im having with a co worker on a job. Its a mature chestnut. After convincing the customer not to have a very large limb removed, they want the downward growth from it lifiting from a building and i plan to do some weight reduction via thinning / selective pruning on the limb that is a main concern. Also there the tree is to be dead wooded and crown cleaned

They want the tree pruning as soon as possible.

The buds are just starting to burst on it.

Now - My view is - Its not the best time to prune the tree as the tree is investing its energy into flowers and leaf production. - however since the volume of what is coming off is very low i don't feel it will stress the tree too much - most of the downward growth is very small diameter. Despite the age of the tree its in very good shape.

An Apprentice type (who is keen on his text books) - says i should tell them to not prune it until next winter - in a way he is right - but then i will likely loose the job. - he his making quite bit of noise about this and waiving books and quotes about so i would like to put this out to the general arb community.

I think he fails to appreciate i don't work in a botanical garden on a salary....

So what do you think of the situation?? Go ahead with the job? Or delay the work till autumn (or at least after mid summer which is my actual preferred option in this scenario but customer doesn't like it). Have struck a suitable balance? saved the tree from having a huge limb taken off but meaning it must suffer lighter pruning damage at a time of year that is not best to carry it out??

If he's keen and questions things that's good. If it's in front of customers, not so. Perhaps with some attitude adjustment, experience and time to mature he could be an asset to your company.

Tell him there is no right time, have a read of principles of tree hazard assessment and management p.266, think about how businesses work/cash flow, and then get back to you...

Good reference to the Principles of Tree Hazard assessment and management. Had to blow the dust off the cover to check it out. Shall be useful to both show him during our next disccusion and it is also weighty enough to beat him about the head next time he decides to pluck leaves of the neighbors bushes instead of getting the gear out the van.

'Whats this?'

' Icouldntgive xxxxxx'

'Never heard of that - i thought it looked like thuja?

As for an asset...i wish...cheeky runt has already told me of his grand plans to bugger off to Oz once he has got his qualifications sorted - but then i dont blame him for wanting to travel whilst he can. - He does however have potential - i wouldn't waste my time on him if he didn't.

But i digress - I often find with newly qualified and student types they quote texts like scripture, or say things like 'my tutor said so'. It doesn't take them long to realise the real world cant always function like a text book.

Edited by Paul Barton

if its your job? then do it how and when you want, if the client really wants it done then their going to get someone else in asap, that person may well like the idea of wacking the whole limb off. its all a compromise and doesn't sound like your planning on going mad on the tree.

carl

Ideally avoid pruning at bud burst but how many do avoid. Pruning in the growing season to me is more logical than in the dormant period as the tree is producing energy which it can invest in compartmentalising the wounds that are created. I prune all year as at the end of the day I need to pay the bills

How much energy would a tree really put into compartmentalizing small cuts anyway ... lol

Also ... if food or energy needs to go to buds and flowers, if you removed limbs, then those would not be taking their portion of the energy stored for them.

I tend to approve light moderate pruning all year, all 12 months. Its my own text book and it works. 30 years worth of success.

The likley hood is that if they want the limb off despite you offering expert advice that they'll get someone to take it off.

Always advise best practice but if someone's insistent and your not brutalising the whole tree Then take the work. We all have bills to pay.

I'd think that being chestnut as well it would put more energy into a shed load of epicormic growth at this time of year. Then they'll call someone else in to cut off the limb as they think your to precious about it.