Tree Fertiliser?

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh sorry do you mean while planting or after the tree is established.

Both? I've always thought that if I planted the right tree in the right spot that fertiliser wouldn't matter. But I can see the advantages if fertiliser gets a tree above the weeds and gives it greater girth (protection against browsing).

If you want to get the maximum out of any plant, feed it weed it and irrigate it and protect it as necessary. Commercial growers do. But trees do tend to be left to their own devices. They also succeed.

To the original question I have seen the difference in a commercial enviroment.

Leaf colour, Vigour and volume over the season. It does make a difference, if you can justify it or have the time to be bothered.

Timber harvests of pine in New Zealand are ready in 25 years due to optimum rainfall, sunshine and temperature. Uk twice as long I think.

I noticed a definite advantage in the trees that were mulched with carpet as supposed to the ones that weren't mulched - much higher growth rates but I expect they'll all catch up in the end. The number of oaks, birch & willow that have fought their way up through the sward with zero help or protection tells me that the ones I've put tubes around already have an edge on the naturally seeded ones