Any idea how much usable wood is in these?

Woodworks

A neighbour has had a couple of lovely oaks felled and wants to know how much I would pay for them but I am not sure how to go about estimating the volume of the wood in each tree. Approximate sizes are as follows

85cm diameter at the base

18m high

15m spread

80cm diameter at the base

14m high

14 spread

I am hoping there is some formula for estimating the volume of wood.

A couple of pictures.

Frankly I think it's a dam shame they were felled but too late now :thumbdown:

IMG_20150309_143651.jpg.c29287a67702da0a0a7e2f76b73ac16d.jpg

IMG_20150309_143223.jpg.268c066cff99177dd7d5dcd6d028eab6.jpg

Edited by Woodworks

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I hope he isn't thinking you're going to cut them up, cart the wood out from where they are now, tidy everything up and then expect you to pay for the privilege?

Yep :001_rolleyes:

I know it's not the most profitable way to get hold of wood but struggling to buy any in at the moment and at least it would be nice local timber not hauled in from who knows were. If I could get some handle on how much timber is there I can work out what I could could offer or not as the case maybe.

Yep :001_rolleyes:

I know it's not the most profitable way to get hold of wood but struggling to buy any in at the moment and at least it would be nice local timber not hauled in from who knows were. If I could get some handle on how much timber is there I can work out what I could could offer or not as the case maybe.

HI WOOD AS YOU NO make it safe to cut up get that BUTT ON THE GROUND ON TO SOME WOOD so easy to cut and loads safer to :thumbup1:thanks jon :thumbup:

If you're to buy them as they are in the photos, leave him to sit on them for a while and then he'll realise when nobody else is prepared to pay either, he can't have his cake and eat it.

Unless you are fairly confident dismantling big hardwood crowns, they look like an easy way to a trip to A&E.

I personally wouldn't pay anything, there's an awful lot of work there getting that converted into saleable firewood. And as stated they're very nasty to deal with, that first one is going to malky the fence and possibly end up sitting back onto stump or maybe even slightly beyond