Husky 281 XP question

KevR

Hi all,

Just finished rebuilding the 281 XP I rescued from a skip. Apart from the sheer effort of getting the thing turning over (no decompressor, plus new piston/rings and crank seals so it's a bit tight) it's all good I think - I just need stronger arms.

Just wondering whether there should be a chain guide on the chain brake side of the bar. There's a pressed steel plate on the crankcase/body side, covering the oil outlet and adjuster and holding the plastic slider in place. But there's nothing on the outside of the bar. Can't see anything on the parts diagrams so I think that's how it should be, just want to check for sure!

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have a pristine 181SE and it only has the one pressed steel plate on the actual bar mount and all IPLs have just the single plate.

Husqvarna could have fitted a bigger recoil pulley on these saws - mine is also a bitch to turn over but it does have its base gasket missing:sneaky2::lol:

Thanks! I think once the new piston's run in it won't be too bad. But at the moment it's a bit of a workout... Nearly as bad as my ancient Danarm 110, which only has about 6 inches of pull cord so it's hard to get it to spin!

Thanks! I think once the new piston's run in it won't be too bad. But at the moment it's a bit of a workout... Nearly as bad as my ancient Danarm 110, which only has about 6 inches of pull cord so it's hard to get it to spin!

Erm - it will get harder once the piston is bedded in, best to drop start it as it is less painful in the end!

Erm - it will get harder once the piston is bedded in, best to drop start it as it is less painful in the end!

Best to drop it off here. You and your shoulder will thank me :)

Never drop start a 181/281 or it will bite you, the 288 had a deco valve, you should have fitted this cylinder, when you say its tight, is that because the main bearings are stressed due to the way they were pressed in.

You couldn't handle the power Wes.....just thinking of you:001_rolleyes:

Stuff like this day in day out is what's gonna kill my 044 if I don't get a bigger saw shortly. And the estate is crawling with this stuff.

159322562.H7kGba83.jpg

I'm burning some of it right now. Lovely stuff.