Mitsubishi pinin 1.8 gdi, thoughts?

Crazeetony

Hi everyone I am after a little advice, I am after a budget 4x4, someone near me is selling a Mitsubishi pinin 1.8 gdi on a W plate so 2000 reg which I am going to view on Wednesday.

what are your thoughts on this as an all rounder? will be using it for general work based off roading so nothing extreme, general local travel and towing a trailer.

It's up for 1150 and has done around 69,000, any tips on what to look out for when viewing would also be really appreciated :thumbup:

Hi everyone I am after a little advice, I am after a budget 4x4, someone near me is selling a Mitsubishi pinin 1.8 gdi on a W plate so 2000 reg which I am going to view on Wednesday.

what are your thoughts on this as an all rounder? will be using it for general work based off roading so nothing extreme, general local travel and towing a trailer.

It's up for 1150 and has done around 69,000, any tips on what to look out for when viewing would also be really appreciated :thumbup:

I've got one, mines the 1.8 mpi. The gdi engines have a habit of coking up, check for rust, these vehicles rust like mad take a little hammer and tap it everywhere. Fuel economy I average around 26mpg. Apart from rust issues (new sills and patch work) it's been bomb proof it's been the most reliable vehicle I've owned. I've stuck some general grabber tires on mine and it's pretty impressive off road

Rust issues seems to be something to watch out for with alot of 4x4's i am finding, I had a p reg disco for a while and that had chassis rusting/rot issues hence buying something new now :-(, are there any areas that are prone to rusting more than others or is it just everywhere?

Rust issues seems to be something to watch out for with alot of 4x4's i am finding, I had a p reg disco for a while and that had chassis rusting/rot issues hence buying something new now :-(, are there any areas that are prone to rusting more than others or is it just everywhere?

The sills, wheel arches outside and inside, and everywhere in the engine bay like suspension mounts bulkhead, brake servo.

Cracking vehicle by the way mines the elegance so I've got leather and other bits and bobs

Tbh most reviews I have read have been really positive, looking into the engine issues now, it looks like it all stems from a throttle body cleaning issues according to what I have read, and should be indicated by a rough idle and engine cutting out at junctions etc, if it develops the fault it seems to be about £400 to fix so will have to make sure I pay attention to it while idling

Tbh most reviews I have read have been really positive, looking into the engine issues now, it looks like it all stems from a throttle body cleaning issues according to what I have read, and should be indicated by a rough idle and engine cutting out at junctions etc, if it develops the fault it seems to be about £400 to fix so will have to make sure I pay attention to it while idling

I was actively looking for one so after a bit of research I just avoided the gdi engines. The mpi engines are used in a ton of other vehicles and seem pretty bullet proof so I went looking for one of those. I have no experience with the gdi so can't really comment other than what the forums say

One of my shooting friends had a Pinin some time ago and I remember the throttle went. wasn't just a cable, it was electronic I think and cost £1200 to correct - obviously it was just a few months out of warranty!

If the engine is running rough may be worth having it Terracleaned - cleans fuel lines out and decarbons parts of the engines. Apparently Mitsubishi engines, espec in L200, are prone to carbon in manifolds.