Approx 1000 cubic metres apple cordwood Kent

lampost

Anybody interested? I estimate there to be over 1000 cu m of wood here. The trees were grubbed out last February and are now being cut up, should all be cut by early Feb. Large butts for apple, approx 12-15 inch diameter and 7-9 feet in length, plus mixture of good size boughs. Not gun barrel straight but not ridiculously twisty either. Can be stacked at roadside as soon as the land is dry enough! Located a few miles south of Maidstone, Kent. Offers invited for the whole lot or by the lorry load. I would imagine bulkers would be more suitable than timber trailers - I can load if given enough notice. Whole lot must be gone by April at the latest.

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Chip it, bag it, and sell it to the bbq lovers of this fine country

Thanks briquette_seller I had noticed how much the chip fetches on ebay but I think it would take me years to shift the amount of wood I have here! I had thought it might be worth trying a bit but in reality the job needs doing properly with staff and a bagger and so on. The nearest building with space I have is 25 miles away so would all need shifting over there. I wonder what sort of volume of chip gets sold in a year?

Thanks nepia very helpful, worth a look, I'd have to get a contractor in to do the splitting as I don't have the kit, time or staff to do it. Could still be worth while for that sort of money though.

A few years back with the last company I worked for we felled several hundred apples in an orchard. Average clean stem of 1.5-2m tall, and around 30-40cm diameter, then the branches on top. Only 2mins from the yard, owner wanted them gone to either replant or go arable. No rot in the stems and every last piece went on the firewood heap! Tragedy really, but quick and easy and kept us employees in firewood cutting & splitting through the days we couldn't climb over winter. Don't know if he asked any saw mills, was friendly with one nearby but they wouldn't have been interested anyway. Makes me shudder to think what I've been involved with turning to firewood over the years :thumbdown:

what in the blazes is this doing in the firewood forum???

it should be milled if its a good log.

phone stiles and bates and they may buy it...

Thanks I have already spoken to s&b and the chap did say he would come come and look at it but he hasn't turned up yet. Spoke to another similar company who were offering me a lot less than its worth as firewood so I thought I was probably wasting my time. If I sell the butts I'm stuck with a load of branches I need to shift so the price needs to make it worth my while. I have potentially got another 1000 trees next door to this lot so there is plenty to go around!

Any chance of some pictures? I'd love some but no means of transporting large volumes

Next time I am over there (probably end of the week) I will snap some photos and post them on here. I really need people who can take at a minimum a lorry load at a time to be worth my while, otherwise I will be forever running back and forth to unlock gates and get the loader over there for every man and his wife. I am sure you can understand this.

I am sure you can understand this.

Oh, absolutely. I think it would take a while with our 8' trailer but interested to see how much 1000 cubic metres is. Not sure whether we have space and don't know how cost effective hiring a lorry would be