Could you help?

treecol

Hi all. Been reading here for some time & I know you're a knowledgeable lot, so I wonder if you can give some advice please?

I bought my dad an MS180c 2 years ago as it was reduced as a result of a cancelled order. Dad is 85 & only pottering at home with firewood. He hasn't used it since last winter - he drained the fuel & had no issues with it when using it. He's just given it to me as my mum passed away & he has no interest in using it. But as soon as I used it (I'm semi retired now so it's just a spare saw) it would run fine till hot then I can't get it to full revs. So I stripped it, cleaned it, checked the carb, fuel line & everything I could - but all made no difference.

Then I put a new plug in. It ran much better & for longer, but after about 15 - 20 mins, same things - just won't rev fully. If I leave it for an hour or so, same scenario. Do you have any ideas? I don't want to take it to my local shop as they've had two of my older Stihls recently that won't rev from cold & they can't seem to find the problem.

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

2 possibilities . The tank vent could be blocked and its pulling a vacuum in the tank but I would have thought that would make itself known sooner than 15--20 mins . The other is low compression . Typical symptoms . Wont run when hot / lack of power .

Thanks, Stubby, but the tank vent is ok & compression is good too. It tends to happen when I'm sawing & all of a sudden with no warning the revs die. Ticks over fine, if I stop it it'll re-start ok, but the revs just won't pick up with my finger on the throttle trigger - the revs just 'blip' slightly if that makes sense.

Is it possible that bad fuel is affecting all 3 saws ?

I did think that initially, but my other Stihls & Huskys are all ok. I think my dad gave me his saw with fresh fuel in (having not started it) & he's in another county so different fuel source.

I've run out of ideas.

Thanks, Stubby, but the tank vent is ok & compression is good too. It tends to happen when I'm sawing & all of a sudden with no warning the revs die. Ticks over fine, if I stop it it'll re-start ok, but the revs just won't pick up with my finger on the throttle trigger - the revs just 'blip' slightly if that makes sense.

Crap in the carb then possibly . Check the gauze filter first .

how often do you have to do that :001_tt2::001_tt2::laugh1:

As often as ....when the saw won't run properly . Very rarely for me in fact but then I do clean the air filter regularly and the fuel filter when it looks a bit brown . :001_smile:

Crap in the carb then possibly . Check the gauze filter first .

Lost count of how many times I've stripped & cleaned it. There is nothing on the saw I haven't stripped so far.

I think I'm going off Stihl myself.....if I can't sort it I'll trade all my Stihls in for a couple more Huskys.

But I will have a look at the ignition.

Cheers guys. Will report back.