Pot/piston questions MS170.

Adamam

Hello!

Any answers to these questions would be great!

1. Compression is about 130, which seems low. I don't know what is standard for this saw?

2. To remove cylinder: exhaust off, carb off, boot pushed through, remove 4 bolts from beneath saw? Is that right, or do I need to take off the flywheel and clutch? I read differing reports...

3. Anybody replaced pot/piston? It seems only Chinese no-names are available...

Any tips would be super!

:)

130 is low but these saws are renowned for having low compression, due to the way the engine is designed you have to remove the clutch and take out the full engine assembly and then split the pan to cylinder by undoing another 4 bolts once its out.

130 is low but these saws are renowned for having low compression, due to the way the engine is designed you have to remove the clutch and take out the full engine assembly and then split the pan to cylinder by undoing another 4 bolts once its out.

The four bolts that allow the engine to be removed also hold it together, usually the gasket sealant is enough to stop it falling apart until it's out.

The four bolts that allow the engine to be removed also hold it together, usually the gasket sealant is enough to stop it falling apart until it's out.

There are 4 bolts that hold the engine into the white housing and then there are 4 bolts that hold the engine pan to the cylinder. The 1123 series only uses 4 bolts but the 1130 series uses 8 bolts.

23mins. and no input from Spud... must be busy.

Yes, shopping in the morning and dealing with a pile of faulty kit my darling brother dumped off on me this afternoon:001_rolleyes::lol:

He was happy when his beloved 327 husky hedge trimmer attachement didn't need replacing - two new helicoils and bingo - works fine:thumbup:

130psi is low on compression - I try to avoid rebuilding these saws due to their low cost but the ones I have done I have removed the clutch and flywheel - usually gives a little more freedom to remove the engine - yup, four bolts:thumbup:

Not really worth fitting an OEM P&C, a new saw is a better bet.....just my opinion!