How much mate?

farmer_ben

Sort of going along the lines of Hodge saying society is becoming to anal about logs, without fail the first question new customers ask on the phone is how much is a load. Maybe im reading to much into it, but its never what size loads do you do...what wood is it...what is the moisture content...where does it come from...

3 firewood adverts in village shop this week, just a photo on each and price. No load size, wood types etc.

You get what im saying, as an industry do we sit back and accept this or fight and really try and educate and in the process possible add value to our product?

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sort of going along the lines of Hodge saying society is becoming to anal about logs, without fail the first question new customers ask on the phone is how much is a load. Maybe im reading to much into it, but its never what size loads do you do...what wood is it...what is the moisture content...where does it come from...

3 firewood adverts in village shop this week, just a photo on each and price. No load size, wood types etc.

You get what im saying, as an industry do we sit back and accept this or fight and really try and educate and in the process possible add value to our product?

Exactly, if you offered some people 2 bulk bags of fresh cut poplar for £60 or a bulk bag of under 20% moisture ash, syc and birch for £60 I know round here you would sell out of the crap no problem.

Exactly, if you offered some people 2 bulk bags of fresh cut poplar for £60 or a bulk bag of under 20% moisture ash, syc and birch for £60 I know round here you would sell out of the crap no problem.

My local farm shop has bulk bags that are only 3/4 full of willow that looks pretty green for the grand sum of £100.00! each and he sells them 😳

we get the same thing and after you explain to them about weights and volumes, moisture contents etc they still go and buy from the cheapest load they can find, quite satisfying when they call you up 2 weeks later because those logs don't burn.

I do think half the stupid calls we get are other merchants trying to be sneaky fishing for information instead of just saying im joe bloggs from down the road, we are not holding nuclear secrets we would still answer their questions. :thumbdown:

My local farm shop has bulk bags that are only 3/4 full of willow that looks pretty green for the grand sum of £100.00! each and he sells them 😳

Maybe we should follow suit, thing is if we did people would just slag us off. That's why I'm gonna knock logs on the head when I sell all my stock. I've got about 100 tonne and when it's gone I'm not buying in cord again, I will just use what comes from jobs and that's it.

HI HODGE people are nicking around here mate some are only worry about price BUT i do not want customer like this thanks jon :thumbup:

Maybe we should follow suit, thing is if we did people would just slag us off. That's why I'm gonna knock logs on the head when I sell all my stock. I've got about 100 tonne and when it's gone I'm not buying in cord again, I will just use what comes from jobs and that's it.

I've wound it right down over the last few years but don't won't to stop completely, I actually enjoy it and it's great for filling in when back early from other jobs.