New small business.

Bob The Dog

Hi folks.

First time posting on this site, although I have been a follower of the forums for quite some time. Interested in your thoughts on this:

I am looking to start a small business in the Herefordshire area for tree surgery. I am qualified in cs30,31,38 and 39, and will get 32 next year. I have all the kit and some experience through a few years of this type of work (purely amateur though). I have a good, well paid job, so am reluctant to give that up completely, but more than anything, I enjoy tree and outdoors working. And of course, there may be the opportunity to make a few quid in the process. My question to you guys, for your honest and professional opinion, is do you think the work is out there to support the expense of setting up a small business such as this. Herefordshire is very rural and full of gardens and land with trees, so on the face of it, it seems ok. I don't need any more kit (bit of a kit monster!), but need a chipper - so the next question is: I'd love a greenmech cs100 18hp, but they're quite expensive, albeit I believe very good, and just the right size for me. However, has anyone got any views on a second hand greenmech GMR100? It's about 6 years old but in good condition with minimal use (obviously have to take the sellers word for that). I'd obviously prefer the cs100 though. Sorry for the long post, but keen to gather the thoughts from those who know. Bob.

Hi folks.

First time posting on this site, although I have been a follower of the forums for quite some time. Interested in your thoughts on this:

I am looking to start a small business in the Herefordshire area for tree surgery. I am qualified in cs30,31,38 and 39, and will get 32 next year. I have all the kit and some experience through a few years of this type of work (purely amateur though). I have a good, well paid job, so am reluctant to give that up completely, but more than anything, I enjoy tree and outdoors working. And of course, there may be the opportunity to make a few quid in the process. My question to you guys, for your honest and professional opinion, is do you think the work is out there to support the expense of setting up a small business such as this. Herefordshire is very rural and full of gardens and land with trees, so on the face of it, it seems ok. I don't need any more kit (bit of a kit monster!), but need a chipper - so the next question is: I'd love a greenmech cs100 18hp, but they're quite expensive, albeit I believe very good, and just the right size for me. However, has anyone got any views on a second hand greenmech GMR100? It's about 6 years old but in good condition with minimal use (obviously have to take the sellers word for that). I'd obviously prefer the cs100 though. Sorry for the long post, but keen to gather the thoughts from those who know. Bob.

forget it bob theres no money in tree work every man & his dog doing now :001_smile:

If you've got all the kit bar the chipper and already have your tickets it's a no-brainer. Insure yourself, advertise, start with weekend work and see how it goes. When you start to get busy, employ a couple of weekend lads. Gauge your success and judge whether you want to stop the day job.

Many young uns would give their right arm to start with all the kit.

I can't add much more than Doobin's already said; if you've got the gear, dip your toe and see what happens. If you take the plunge just remember it's going to be tough for the immediate future so holidays and such like might have to take a back seat. But I wish you all the best.

Go for it! You've obviously taken the plunge on forking out for kit and tickets, keep building on that, a competitive industry keeps you on yer toez, plenty of chippers for hire cheap ( I've only just bought one after 18yrs of tree work ) never got on with green mech, that was a while ago though. Good luck

It's very hard to initially get your name out there, every one says it's word of mouth! But you have to get the work to start with to get your word of mouth, Big company's working for peanuts just to get the work, gippos and landscape gardeners offering tree work is what your up against! I studied at college for 2 years worked in New Zealand for a year then worked on books back on uk for 6 years and then started up on my own 2 years ago, I'm still doing a lot of subby work to keep busy!! But I wouldn't change it!! Good luck mate!!