Starting in landscaping

peterdurham

I'm a qualified and experienced tree surgeon but I am I interested in also carrying out landscaping, I say landscaping, I am particularly interested in grass cutting for filling in between tree work as I have recently started my own tree work company (part time as I still work as a team leader for a large firm), is it worth doing a part time college course? I spoke to Askham Bryan but they where massively unhelpful. Ideally I suppose I'm looking for a local company I can help on weekend to get to grips with it. I'm hoping to do some grounds maintenance for local businesses, care homes etc and possibly even the council. Any advice/ideas would me massively appreciated. I'm located in stockton on tees bit happy to travel in spare time .

I'm a qualified and experienced tree surgeon but I am I interested in also carrying out landscaping, I say landscaping, I am particularly interested in grass cutting for filling in between tree work as I have recently started my own tree work company (part time as I still work as a team leader for a large firm), is it worth doing a part time college course? I spoke to Askham Bryan but they where massively unhelpful. Ideally I suppose I'm looking for a local company I can help on weekend to get to grips with it. I'm hoping to do some grounds maintenance for local businesses, care homes etc and possibly even the council. Any advice/ideas would me massively appreciated. I'm located in stockton on tees bit happy to travel in spare time .

Landscaping? Laying slabs, block paving,brick walls,water features,etc ect. Need more then a collage course for that, been doing it 33yrs and still learning bits and pieces.

Do you mean grounds maintenance when you say you want to move into landscaping :confused1:

Wasn't trying to undermine the skills of landscaping. Maybe it is more grounds maintenance then as I'm not interested in paving etc. Mainly just grass cutting commercially

Was,t being underminding to you fella just when you say landscaping that covers a very wide range of skills and best learned over many years apart from a collage course in brick laying which you can learn the basics on a short course at an evening class.

As for doing a course on grass cutting I Would't bother even if there was one. Just get your self a couple of good mowers and the right equipment grass cutting is an art but not rocket science.

But I would get a good book on grass maintenance and diseases so you sound like you know what you talking about even if you don,t. After a while you'll soon pick it up. And make sure you get your pricking structure right. There are plenty of good lads and lasses on here who can help.:thumbup:

If your using a strimmer/brushcutter then you can do a Lantra course for that. The mower courses are not as important IMO to begin with. For larger contracts they may be required and especially for larger machinery.

If it is just a grass cutting service and you have a mower you are good to go. If it is lawn care then it may be helpful reading up a bit more on this. You don't need to go to college for it as there are books on the subject which will teach you all you need to know.

Get in touch with your local football, rugby, golf, bowls, cricket, croquet clubs and see if they need a spare pair of hands and you might be lucky. that way you can learn what the different processes are at different times of year as well as dropping a few business cards there way.

Was,t being underminding to you fella just when you say landscaping that covers a very wide range of skills and best learned over many years apart from a collage course in brick laying which you can learn the basics on a short course at an evening class.

As for doing a course on grass cutting I Would't bother even if there was one. Just get your self a couple of good mowers and the right equipment grass cutting is an art but not rocket science.

But I would get a good book on grass maintenance and diseases so you sound like you know what you talking about even if you don,t. After a while you'll soon pick it up. And make sure you get your pricking structure right. There are plenty of good lads and lasses on here who can help.:thumbup:

Sorry that should have said"pricing structure right":thumbup:

We found it just comes hand in hand with tree work.

We might take down a tree then grind the stump, after offer to re-sow the lawn, fence, create paths, install gates and plant another tree.

We don't advertise this, it just comes our way although there is a little mention on our web site.

Ty

Thanks for all the replies. I'v recently bought a honda engined rotary and a strimmer and have a few fortnightly customers but would like to get some grounds Maintenance work for local companies and purchase a ride on mower, guessing a mulching type. Any books recommended?

Just get the expert series covering lawns. As good as anything else and I bet you can pick one up at any decent charity shop for a couple of dollars.

Honda, good mower, ride on you do need mulcher but sometimes you will need to collect the cuttings just depends what the clients requirements are:001_rolleyes:

Yes, the RHS series of books are excellent reference.

You'll make errors on timing of jobs like under estimating the volume of earth once dug out or just how much sand is required to blind a surface for paving that is for sure.

Start with modest works and get the materials priced right with a decent margin on top.

Study your plants and also others works for influences in design and material choice.

Take images, make an album even if the jobs are not yours, images which are examples only, just so you can say to a client "I can install this"

Ty