Wage rates. Question for our oz friends

DN22 Gardening

Hi all,

I was having a chat with a mate the other night.

He's thinking of moving to the Brisbane area and we were discussing how much he'd need to earn.

We came up with a figure of between $40 and $50 aus dollars.

Is this realistic?

Also what's the job prospects.

Same age as me (47) decent climber but also like me, getting old n knackered.

Runs two teams of his own at the minute.

All help appreciated

Sent from bed using Arbtalk Mobile App

Cut off age is 50 for immigration but I think it is 34 for work visa so he would need to immigrate to work. Unless the rules have changed and if they have I will go for a few months too :biggrin:

At 47 unless he's a very good climber I don't think he could climb commercially by the look of the trees/work it looks like a young mans game.

Cut off age is 50 for immigration but I think it is 34 for work visa so he would need to immigrate to work. Unless the rules have changed and if they have I will go for a few months too :biggrin:

At 47 unless he's a very good climber I don't think he could climb commercially by the look of the trees/work it looks like a young mans game.

your right with the age , but as for climbing . if they can get anywhere near with a mewp then thats the way, or was when i was there

Hi all,

I was having a chat with a mate the other night.

He's thinking of moving to the Brisbane area and we were discussing how much he'd need to earn.

We came up with a figure of between $40 and $50 aus dollars.

Is this realistic?

Also what's the job prospects.

Same age as me (47) decent climber but also like me, getting old n knackered.

Runs two teams of his own at the minute.

All help appreciated

Sent from bed using Arbtalk Mobile App

Just to clear some staff up here.

The working holiday visa cutoff is 31, that means the only way you can get into oz is on a skilled visa if you are over 31. This means either yourself or your wife must hold a minimum of a degree in a required field on the oz skilled list. The rates of pay in oz for climbers or team leaders is between 25 - 35 dollars an hour. The working week is serious, the minimum week is around 50 hours a week with the most of those hours being spent up pretty large trees. It's all maximum speed bosh bosh bosh.

Any questions feel free to ask.

Sorry mate as I don't know you and your probably a really nice bloke but what a load of rubbish. If the original poster needs some info go to a visa agent you can get in many ways I got in in 2006 after using an agent it cost plenty of dosh, and not a degree in site. I know loads of poms over here and it all depends on if you have what they want.

As for the wages I wouldn't get out of bed for $25 an hour $35 is fairly ordinary I used to work full time climbing for a company and used to spend only 2/3 days climbing the rest on the ground or driving and got paid $40 an hour.

Hi mate, It's not 2006, it's 2014 and the visa entry requirements have changed. I've just been through the whole deal. Secondly there is a slow down in the market here so the money no longer flows as it did. The money is relevant though so in Sydney you may well get 35 plus but the city is damn expensive. I'm all ears as how to get into oz now besides one of 3 methods. Work holiday visa, skilled visa, or pay your way in which is ridiculous amounts of money. I'm talking from current personal experience too. Ps, I am interested to know the route you took.

Hi mate, It's not 2006, it's 2014 and the visa entry requirements have changed. I've just been through the whole deal. Secondly there is a slow down in the market here so the money no longer flows as it did. The money is relevant though so in Sydney you may well get 35 plus but the city is damn expensive. I'm all ears as how to get into oz now besides one of 3 methods. Work holiday visa, skilled visa, or pay your way in which is ridiculous amounts of money. I'm talking from current personal experience too. Ps, I am interested to know the route you took.

Have you been to see an agent? We got in on skilled visa, I know a few people who are struggling to get in and doing it all them selves, and I have met people who are in and used an agent you pay your money and take your choice. Cost £3000 for agents fees. I was still getting $40 an hour in 2012 on the books, and on the goldcoast. Are you going through the points system and coming up a bit short? Can you not make up the difference with a bond to the oz government , we know people that had to do this as well. What do they want of you now?

Russ.