Splitter Blade question, Wedge or Blade??

arniecardigan

I have a little KTM machinery 10 tonne splitter which has a wedged splitter head, its a nice little machine which is ok as long as you don't put the entire wedge into the log. If you put the whole wedge into the log it'll stop but if you only use the front of the wedge(the half that is infront of the vertical ram) then its great!

But I see youtube clips of splitters of 8 -10 tonne force with knife type blades that seem to go through logs far easier than my wedge, was looking at the farmi 36 processor last night which has a splitting force of 8 tonne and will split 4 ways with ease, my splitter wouldn't cope with a four way head yet is allegedly ten tonne force!!

So is a knife type blade better than a wedge splitting head?

I run my splitter off a 9hp powerpack so is it that the powerpack is not quite powerful enough to push the entire wedge through the log or should I just cut the wedge off and replace with a different design?

I'd even thought about an arrow head type of design so it pushes less wedge through all at once??

Opinion's please!!:thumbup:

Depends on the wood and depends on which 10 ton you have.

First thoughts are that it will go through exactly the same whichever you have. If you don't have enough power to do that your wedge just stops but your blade would go in an inch and be stuck. Being stuck is a PITA

Arrowhead would probably not force the logs apart enough. Power is another issue. We use a 21hp compact tractor and it jams and fails to split enough sometimes. I would not cut off the wedge. It is a shame they have welded the head on to the ram, you could've experimented with different heads. You could tack weld some tapered triangles on each side, see if that makes a difference. Grind off if no gain.

I reckon pressure(power ) is your issue, your are not getting the 10 tonne potential. Bit like an ordinary person riding a tour de france bike.

I did wonder about the power but then you look at youtube videos and see stuff with knife type blades run off little chinese 6-8 hp engines and they seem to split with ease whilst using all of the blade!

for example

where as if I stuck the entire wedge of my splitter on the log in the video it would fail, it would do it using half the wedge though!!

I wondered about the oxdale shape of splitting head also as that is arrowhead ish!!

I did wonder about the power but then you look at youtube videos and see stuff with knife type blades run off little chinese 6-8 hp engines and they seem to split with ease whilst using all of the blade!

for example

I have an electric log splitter but before you pros scoff I would like to point out that it has never failed to split knotty oak etc. I load up to 600mm rounds and it copes fine.My point is that my splitter has a wedge at both ends so the easiest end splits. With one wedge choice of ends might be a big factor. Most logs split with the faster 4 ton but only a few need the full 8 ton pressure.

I have an Oxdale as in the vid. My logs are 17" long as that is as long as they will fit in it.

Pretty much all of it is Leylandii and I get it stuck at times. Anyone that has never used an axe will be stuck nearly all the time. You do need to know where to split it.

I have an Oxdale as in the vid. My logs are 17" long as that is as long as they will fit in it.

Pretty much all of it is Leylandii and I get it stuck at times. Anyone that has never used an axe will be stuck nearly all the time. You do need to know where to split it.

Comforting to know my years with an axe and maul may have not been totally wasted. Hard lessons though.

Oh I know how to split wood Ive done it all my life but after doing 150cube with an axe two winters ago I bought the splitter and for the most part its pretty good! But then if it can be improved then all the better!

Wonder if your splitter is delivering its its rated 10 tons. Might be worth putting a pressure gauge in the system and calculate the actual force.