Beech and Oak stems available

the village idiot

Dear Millers

I have four very substantial trunks available, two Beech and two Oak. I have no means of extracting them from the woods and thought they would be ideally suited to somebody with a portable mill.

They will end up as firewood otherwise, and although I have nothing against firewood I feel these stems are destined to be turned into something more permanent.

They are located near Hadleigh in Suffolk on relatively flat ground. In terms of payment, a contribution to the woodland owner would be great, or make him something nice!

If you would like to come and have a look just send me a reply. There is the potential for many more large stems in the future and it would be nice to set up a working relationship with somebody who has the kit and expertise to make the best use of this material.

Many thanks, TVI

Not sure how you measure for milling but the main beech stem is 35' to the first major branch and 2' in diameter. The second stem is in several shorter lengths but fatter. Not sure how much usable material there will be.

From memory the Oak stems are around 3' diameter with at least 10' of clean stem on each.

I would recommend coming to have a look if possible as I don't really know what I'm talking about when it comes to this sort of thing.

Milling after summer is fine. I will try to raise the Beech off the deck to avoid decay. I also hope to invest in a large logging arch so I can get good stems like this to the concrete roads which run through the wood.

Please be aware that I need to give a fellow arb talker first refusal on these as he was the first to respond. I'll keep ypu posted. Will be lots more nice stems in the future- mostly Ash and Oak.

Thanks for your interest Essex Arborist.

I do have large concrete pads within the wood (relics of the US airforce bomb storage infastructure). These would I imagine be perfect for siting a Lucas Mill or similar.

If I could accumulate a load of millable stems, would it be worth someone's while setting up their machine and milling many stems in one session? I would be looking to sell the stems to the miller. Any that were not wanted I would convert to firewood.

As stated, the stems offered in the original post are currently under negotiation with another member, but I am looking to set up a mutually beneficial long term relationship with someone. The wood is 200 acres so plenty of materual to go at.

Thanks for your interest Essex Arborist.

I do have large concrete pads within the wood (relics of the US airforce bomb storage infastructure). These would I imagine be perfect for siting a Lucas Mill or similar.

If I could accumulate a load of millable stems, would it be worth someone's while setting up their machine and milling many stems in one session? I would be looking to sell the stems to the miller. Any that were not wanted I would convert to firewood.

As stated, the stems offered in the original post are currently under negotiation with another member, but I am looking to set up a mutually beneficial long term relationship with someone. The wood is 200 acres so plenty of materual to go at.

I'd be interested in meeting up and see if we can strike a mutually beneficial deal.