Great White Shark

Goodpig

That looks great mate. With regard to pricing charge whatever you want you don't have to give a fair price for your time. The piece is your creation interpretation your timber your skill it's worth what someone's willing to pay but to you its priceless and it's yours. I've seen a whole range of prices from too cheap like most of us I imagine to the absolutely ridiculous.

If everyone's prices were the same as the ridiculous would it be unfairly priced? I personally think that, that would be just what it cost.

That's a great shark, good job.

As said before agree a rough figure if not final price beforehand. I tend to ask what a clients budget is and work designs to suit, that way I'm not wasting time designing something way out of their price range.

As for costing, your hourly/daily rate plus all business expenses.

as all have already said. i get an agreement on the price range before i start and then stick within that range. if i enjoy the carve and they are nice people then i try to be as cheep as i can (bottom of the range). If its a pain and they are a pain then it might get to the top of the range :)

but im pretty cheep i guess. For that i would be looking at 150 - 200. hard to get a good idea of scale (im guessing 3 foot long ish? if its smaller then maybe drop a little) and you will finish off the detailing of the weeds and mount it onto a stable base before oiling?

basing a price just on time is not a great way to go, try to also bring in factors such as 'how much time to design and plan before i start carving?' how much ingenuity am i going to have to use ABOVE normal? do i have to buy anything extra for this job? delivery? travel?

also try to remember that you are not a mechanic. you are not fixing their car (typically 25-35 pound per hour in some garages). you are using skills that have taken years to learn and a creative mind that is unique.

just my 2p worth (based on an hourly rate of...)

Dave

Its worth what someone will pay, artists often under value themselves, look at what Tracy Emmett, sold her bed for and the value it has been been sold for again and she will get a small % of the second sale, being more then has been mentioned for your skilled work above. Personally once you have the skills(which this pieces shows you have) you need a basic wage plus costs (production and sales if your selling it), then an addition payment for your name as the artist, this will increase with standard supply and demand, but remember if you undersell you devalue your work. Artists can increase their sales and income by doubling or tripling there prices and selling less.