Sad day in the log world !

matthew65

I recently posted a request for log suppliers for festival logs.

To cut a long story short I got a supply from a log merchant not through this site.

I spoke to the supplier the day before and stressed how important it was that the logs where dry as they where for a pizza oven.

Alarm bells where raised when he said the wood was ash and it was 3 months old he said ash could be burnt green !.

The wood arrived and it was from a tree that was decayed - I'm not sure of the exact words but it was like white pulp on the log - about 20% on each piece.

The wood was hopeless it just smoked when it eventually got going.

I spoke to the supplier yesterday who assured me it was dry,I explained that I sold wood and new what dry wood was, this wood was not fit for purpose.

Luckily I found a supplier on Friday who dropped off some very good wood.

The wood had to be removed off site today and I did not have room to take it back with me, Im sure in years time it would have been ok to burn at home. He sent someone over today to collect the wood but made no attempt to pay me back part of the price for the logs.

As I said in my title this is a sad day for the log world, no wonder customers complain.

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

To cut a long story short I got a supply from a log merchant not through this site.

I spoke to the supplier the day before and stressed how important it was that the logs where dry as they where for a pizza oven.

Alarm bells where raised when he said the wood was ash and it was 3 months old he said ash could be burnt green !.

The wood arrived and it was from a tree that was decayed - I'm not sure of the exact words but it was like white pulp on the log - about 20% on each piece.

I spoke to the supplier yesterday who assured me it was dry,I explained that I sold wood and new what dry wood was, this wood was not fit for purpose.

The wood had to be removed off site today and I did not have room to take it back with me, Im sure in years time it would have been ok to burn at home. He sent someone over today to collect the wood but made no attempt to pay me back part of the price for the logs.

As I said in my title this is a sad day for the log world, no wonder customers complain.

you should have moisture checked and reported to trading standards.

What made you go with this supplier and not someone off here? Was it anything to do with cost? If you've paid the going rate then you have my sympathy but if not . ..

Spot on I've seen someone locally selling hardwood at £40/m3 and stating it was 7 years seasoned:lol:. It looked totally rotten. You will always get people who go for the price and get poor quality.

Were you by chance using an Esse Firestone?. I am an Esse dealer and was wondering how you handled it on site. Dan the Esse rep tells me that someone with a firestone sold 4000 slices of Pizza at the Festival all cooked on the Firestone.

I have sold a couple and set them up with my LE1 stairclimber but it has been a struggle. Looking for an easier way to handle on site.

A