Reminded myself why i went from landys to japanese...

wisecobandit

This mornings work stripping down a 300 tdi to find the cause of loss of power and a rather loud mettalic tapping sound...

This is the 3rd 300 tdi engine ive done now with the same issue. Also the reason i prefer chainsaws to vehicles. A bit of chainsaw oil,2 stroke and oily sawdust is so much easier to get off your hands than 10,000 mile old diesel engine oil :lol:

Anyhow basically the valve head broken off the stem.. If you look closly you can see the cone of the valve stem embedded still in the head.

head_zps401bb6a8.jpg

And the piston damage! The valve head was broken in 2 embedded into the top of the piston. :001_rolleyes:

piston_zps7beb9809.jpg

Edited by wisecobandit

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes not good but this isn't just a landrover problem; worst one I've had was a customers Mercedes. When returning it to the company car owner the auto gearbox changed at the wrong time and on over rev pop went the valve head totally shagging the engine.:confused1::blushing:

Fortunately for me the car had been back to the main dealers a few months earlier for this fault so I was off the hook............... PHEW!

I wouldn't say thats a landrover problem, seems to me a low maintenance problem. the 300tdis are pretty good engines on the whole.

We own a landy and an isuzu, a navara before that. They have all had their own problems, the isuzu is the new d-max, but has had minor problems already.

Each to their own, land rovers are cheaper and easier to fix, japanese you need to plug them in before you get close to fixing. Then parts are expensive generally.

Overriding all that, regular maintenance and having some mechanical sympathy should prevent a heap of problems anyway.

This mornings work stripping down a 300 tdi to find the cause of loss of power and a rather loud mettalic tapping sound...

This is the 3rd 300 tdi engine ive done now with the same issue. Also the reason i prefer chainsaws to vehicles. A bit of chainsaw oil,2 stroke and oily sawdust is so much easier to get off your hands than 10,000 mile old diesel engine oil :lol:

Anyhow basically the valve head broken off the stem.. If you look closly you can see the cone of the valve stem embedded still in the head.

head_zps401bb6a8.jpg

And the piston damage! The valve head was broken in 2 embedded into the top of the piston. :001_rolleyes:

piston_zps7beb9809.jpg

HI WISE how have you done engines like that are they stander engines or turbo and pump open up as i have a mate drives the hard and say there good engines thanks jon