Embarrassing mix ups

Woodworks

When I was on a YTS scheme, back in the day, we were paid £29 a week and one if my co-workers got paid £29k!

Out employer instantly rectified it but paid him 29 pence instead.

By this time we were in a pub in Weymouth downing the good news!

Sent from my iPhone using Arbtalk mobile app.

You've come a long way in a couple of years, Al :-P

Phoned up a client the other day to inform them that I was running a few minutes late and when they answered the phone the conversation went something like this:

Client: Hello

Me: Hi Mr Smith, it's Andrew Gale, I've an appointment with you at 10.30 and I'm running a few minutes late; I should be with you by about 10.45 if that's ok.

Client: This is Mrs Smith.......

Tad embarrassing :blushing:, had to blame poor mobile coverage not the fact that she sounded like a bloke...:thumbup:

I used to be a dealer in a former life (equities - nothing dodgy!) and was asked by a client to place a very large deal.

He asked for shares of a particular stock, I asked what was the size of the investment he replied, "50,000". Now, these shares were trading that day at £55.00 each. That makes this investment worth £2.75M! I had an upper authorisation limit of £1M, so had to seek immediate approval on the deal. I double checked all calculations before running to see the dealing floor supervisor. All the while, the stock price was going up...

The supervisor comes over and enters his code. It was over his limit. So, we went to get the dealing manager and it was over his limit. Then the Lead Investment Manager and yep, over his limit! In the end, I had to get the CEO of the company to give me authorisation to place the deal. His hands were genuinely trembling and he had sweat on his brow as he put in the code. There were 8 managers by now all around my desk - all a bit twitchy at the size of the exposure in one deal, and insisting I double and treble check the calculations!

The client was on the phone, and just as I was about to place the deal on the market I confirmed back to him, "So, that's buying 50,000 shares of....", "What! No, I wanted to spend 50,000 pounds!" I just managed to pull the deal from the market at the last second, and had to explain it all to the 8 managers - which was fun!

As it turned out, I placed the deal at £50K and it all worked out in the end, but he paid something like £58 per share instead of the £55 I could have got the bigger deal at.

The kicker in the tail is though, if I had placed the deal of 50,000 shares at £55, the client would have made £500,000.00 over night. The stock went to £65 the very next morning....

I cannot remember the detail, but in about 1992 I was ordering a "gross" of sommat.

(That being 144 to you young-uns.)

Yvonne the lovely but slightly ditzy lassie who processed the orders managed to order a 144 gross, well, nearly, until the director who signed the orders spotted the mistake.

I really, for the life of me, cannot remember the product, or what in 1992 would still have been sold "by the gross".

The youngest member of the the farm staff did not have a tupperware lunch box, so used old margarine tubs.

Sat down for bait (breakfast) one day. We all opened our sandwiches whilst he opened a half full tub of marg!

He phoned his dad and explained that he had grabbed the wrong tub and could he please bring in the marg tub from the fridge, which his dad willingly did.

The next morning we teased the guy but it turned out he did have his sandwiches, but a few minutes later his dad turns up. "stupid boy" he says, "you forgot your sandwiches, what would you do without your clever old dad, Eh?"

..... and handed his son a half full tub of marg:lol:

In a different life, in a universe far far away, I was on a course, & they put us up[ in a hotel in Tamworth. Anyway we had a night on the town, I started the night with £150 in my pocket, & the next day had to borrow £1.30 to buy a sandwich...

According to the guy on the course with me, I swore undying love to more than one "young lady" & was buying drinks accordingly....

Rob

The youngest member of the the farm staff did not have a tupperware lunch box, so used old margarine tubs.

Sat down for bait (breakfast) one day. We all opened our sandwiches whilst he opened a half full tub of marg!

He phoned his dad and explained that he had grabbed the wrong tub and could he please bring in the marg tub from the fridge, which his dad willingly did.

The next morning we teased the guy but it turned out he did have his sandwiches, but a few minutes later his dad turns up. "stupid boy" he says, "you forgot your sandwiches, what would you do without your clever old dad, Eh?"

..... and handed his son a half full tub of marg:lol:

i took a pot of marg to school once. i used to put it inside a proper lunch box to avoid it being squashed. mum usually put it in there but i did it one morning thought i had a massive lunch and ended up going hungry!