Tandem Hitch Concept

scotspine1

other than having the fair-lead effect of the pulleys - what is the point over just putting a prussic over both ropes, foot locking up and switching to whichever system you want to use whether it be srt or drt?

answer......

you could work ddrt off that system while having the srt ascending benefits.

Good find, thanks for posting.

Looks promising, if a little bulky.

Maybe the pros outweigh the cons...

I like a bit of innovation, especially when it doesn't cost £200 to try.

The vid didn't linger on the joining of the 2HC's tho, is it as simple as 2 big flat top Krabs or what?

Sent using Arbtalk Mobile App

Not sure that it is really tho Scotty

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4oaSQYwMf_g]SpiderJack 2.1 - YouTube[/ame]

around 11 mins 25

I appreciate that its using a spider jack but a loose hitch such as a VT or a Distell will run up a line in a similar manner if set too.

not dissing the guy for having a play with climbing systems, just think its impractical, it doesn't really combine the best aspects of both systems, quite the opposite.

There's all sorts of overcomplicated ways of reinventing the wheel, its the simple things/methods that actually get used day to day.

this is ascending pushing two hitches up two lines using 2 pulleys as fair leads while footlocking vs pushing one prussic up two lines using your hands while footlocking.

going to get complicated when you reach that first branch and want to untie the system to advance.

around 11 mins 25

he's can't use that footlocking hitch set-up for work positioning or descending, he has to switch back to the spiderjack and use it DdRT. The tandem hitch guy's system allows for footlocking a static doubled line and DdRT without any unclipping.

not dissing the guy for having a play with climbing systems, just think its impractical, it doesn't really combine the best aspects of both systems .

that's exactly what it does do.

There's all sorts of overcomplicated ways of reinventing the wheel, its the simple things/methods that actually get used day to day.

it's a fairly simple idea, nothing complicated about it at all.

this is ascending pushing two hitches up two lines using 2 pulleys as fair leads while footlocking vs pushing one prussic up two lines using your hands while footlocking.

the hitches are on either side of a doubled rope meaning 50% on each hitch, it's basically srt or stationary rope climbing without the need for a ropewrench

going to get complicated when you reach that first branch and want to untie the system to advance.

the idea is that you set the system up with a throwline or set it up at the top of the tree and work the tree from there having the ability to ascend/descend on a static line and switch the DdRT for work positioning without ever having to unclip.

The fundamental idea of having a hitch on both sides of your line has been around a long time, the guy in the tandem hitch vid has just refined it -

Edited by scotspine1

Ok fine your right scotty.

I struggle to install a line straight into the top of most of the trees I find myself working on and I still think it may struggle to catch on, though perhaps very common practice elsewhere in the world.

I bet you've been using it all week, how have you found it.