Srt dismantling help

Hey guys, I've been climbing srt for a while but not on all trees, only trees that I felt srt would be a benefit. For removals I've used srt once and got extremely frustrated, but I think it was mostly because I was out of my comfort zone.

I LOVE my spiderjack for removals, love the slack tending on separate stems and many other advantages.

I'd like to give srt a real go on removals so I can apply it in the work situation at a competitive level (understand I won't at the start and speed is not everything blah blah).

So I'd like you srt guys to post some advice on methods, tie offs, basically anything to do with srt and removals. Your help will be appreciated.

J:thumbup1:

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Where to start....

Most dismantles I do these days are for a structural reason with the tree. Because of this I walk up on spikes checking the way the tree feels, looking for decay/weak spots etc. Also, it's a much less strenuous access method than climbing rope. For this I have a ring spliced into the end of my rope, I can do changeovers by passing the ring around the stem, pulling a bight through it and clipping a revolver into the bight. This gives me a bail out option at any time and means no tying/untying of knots to changeover.

Once I get to my final TIP, I can tie in. I'll then get my kind groundsman to pull a couple more metres of rope from my bag and tie it to my rope. This extra gives me an allowance for redirects (more can be added at any time). It also means that I can easily move the tail of my rope to avoid dropping things on it.

Work the tree like normal but with a thought to redirects you may need to keep to get to a certain part before smashing the canopy off.

Back to the stem I swap over to the ring and revolver again, gives you the bailout option if needed. Others tie retrievable tie ins so you can descend a couple of metres before taking the system down and knocking a length off. Personally I don't bother, I just unclip the main line and spike down, resetting it when I'm at the next cutting point.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Arbtalk mobile app

Hey guys, I've been climbing srt for a while but not on all trees, only trees that I felt srt would be a benefit. For removals I've used srt once and got extremely frustrated, but I think it was mostly because I was out of my comfort zone.

I LOVE my spiderjack for removals, love the slack tending on separate stems and many other advantages.

I'd like to give srt a real go on removals so I can apply it in the work situation at a competitive level (understand I won't at the start and speed is not everything blah blah).

So I'd like you srt guys to post some advice on methods, tie offs, basically anything to do with srt and removals. Your help will be appreciated.

J:thumbup1:

Hi Jake, hope things are going well for you and the family in Melbourne. Its not easy to start with. Just practice. I still occasionally do removals Ddrt if they look awkward single line. A uni is really nice for straight up straight down stuff like pines etc. If its a bit more spreading and lots of limbwalks I prefer the wrench. Its also easier to do them without spikes on until you get to the main chog down sometimes :001_huh: good luck

Oh yeah, I take my spikes off once I've got an anchor point

Like all things thee can be no hard and fast rule, sometimes i'll go spike less once I reach my anchor point, other times I will leave them on as they will help me move around and allow me to get better position with a big saw.

I just want to get this right, with the ring splice and revolver its just a choke tie off right? Usually I just choke with a carabiner.

I just want to get this right, with the ring splice and revolver its just a choke tie off right? Usually I just choke with a carabiner.

Yes, but without unfavorable loading on anything. I know all the things about ropes braking before the krab would but the ring is there anyway so I use it :)

Yes, but without unfavorable loading on anything. I know all the things about ropes braking before the krab would but the ring is there anyway so I use it :)

I like it, i thought for a second you may be doing some kind of hauling set up.

As in 3:1? You can do that with the ring too, one of its many perks

Yes thats what confused me, obviously for quick bail out may not be ideal as you use 3 times the rope, hence why i thought you must just be choking it for single line bail out.

Hi dan and Ben do you guys choose to not wear spikes because you favour using a foot ascender instead and also because using redirects means you can gain a much better positioning and therefore don't need them. I too currently only use srt for reductions and sj for removals so any help n this is much appreciated

Cheers luke