Climbing spikes emergency rescue help!

kierangurney

Hi guys I have been wondering what setup works best for emergency decent on a pole if anything goes wrong. I usually just go up on my spikes with my strop and main climbing line. But I am wondering what is the best way to secure the line underneath you as a back up if you cut your line or slip out.

I know I'm not being to clear but it's hard to explain what I mean. Any help, pictures or videos would be a great help.

Cheers

Assuming you are climbing on drt you can secure you line on a cambium saver or multisaver is better as you can choke it around the stem and is much more secure cambium saver when a stem is much larger can have a lot of friction as the gap between the rings can be quite big and only really for emergencys

Pulley saver if the stem is small enough.

On big stems I have my line choked around the stem and a soft locked f8.

This probably doesn't conform with industry best practice but if the proverbial hits the fan it's an effective means of rapid descent.

Sent from my iPhone using Arbtalk

Normally just choke my line to the stem, not a fan of figure 8's in tree work. If I am concerned about friction on a single leg of line preventing quick bail out I.'ll use a short sling large ring and carabiner above the hitch like the revolver f8 technique I'll try to upload a pic, or just YouTube f8 revolver technique.

Over girth hitching or friction savers I prefer choking my line as its easier to move down the stem, also you can twist it around the stem on leaning stems to help give you support if that makes sense.

If your using ddrt just put a ring on a tape sling girth hitch around the tree below your strop put your rope through the ring

I do this with a spiderjack but i can never get as tight to the tree as with a prussic and bowline choked round the stem. is there a better way :confused1:

I do this with a spiderjack but i can never get as tight to the tree as with a prussic and bowline choked round the stem. is there a better way :confused1:

Don't have it directly infront of you. Move it round to stem. And if your not on a nice straight bit and good old gravity is trying to spin you round the stem. Twist the sling round and use it to hold you where you want to be. If that makes and spence at all.

Sent from the future.

Don't have it directly infront of you. Move it round to stem. And if your not on a nice straight bit and good old gravity is trying to spin you round the stem. Twist the sling round and use it to hold you where you want to be. If that makes and spence at all.

Sent from the future.

It does make sense yes, simple solution :thumbup1: