Root Pruning?

Taupotreeman

Daft if you ask me but Im not in this field of work. I personally would raise verge/path height then subbase with sand over roots. But that isnt going to last long at NZ growth rates.

Maybe try the "Due to the unstable tree that would be left behind in the interests of public safety I recommend complete removal" As the only alternative is......... path structure."

Shock and awe tactics. Personally I hate doing a bodge that isnt going to work well.

If I recommend removal of the tree the roading engineer will throw a party and start marking out several of the other 3500 street trees in the town. This is going on all over town. Until recently the roots were just ripped out with a bobcat. We managed to delay this one for a day or two but trees are low on the priority list. Move the footpath? Not in a month of Sundays. Every time there's a bit of uplift up comes the concrete and out come the roots, in some places three quarters of the way around. I'm concerned about the stability of the tree but don't have a lot of options.

Sent using Arbtalk Mobile App

Raised path has to be best option all around imo.. root removal is done in sections over years to allow larger specimens to be moved but they are supported when re planted to add stability.. guy wires etc

Some of these trees are from 10m to over 25m in height so moving is out of the question. Tried the raised path idea too. Fell on deaf ears.

Not a good idea to remove due to high exposure to pathogens (but you know that)

I think with how you have described the situation in your municipality, it may be prudent for you to just move beyond this one tree and look at the bigger picture and focus on putting together a presentation to the city burghers on the benefits of trees and the potential damage (with associated long term costs) that is caused by the current 'bad' infrastructural maintenance practice.

This could be a good opportunity for you to leave a lasting legacy toward tree care in your immeadiate area.

Put together a good few case studies and run with it kicking & screaming to get your point across (obviously in a polite expat anglo-diplomatic way) :thumbup1:

The voice of reason David. That all sounds so good, unfortunately I've been politely kicking and screaming since I got here almost two years ago, trying to drag certain managers into this century. I got warned a couple of days ago that I was digging myself a grave and it might be prudent to throw the shovel away before I got any deeper. Kinda caught between a rock and a hard place. Then I get thrown this one and I know what the right thing to do is but............maybe just have to suck the sav as you say and try and put some ideas into place. Meeting with the district manager tomorrow to discuss.

What are the most important factors that are driving the purse holders to make certain decisions?

Perhaps if you could somehow (you may well have already done this so apologies if so) put the case across in their language they might sit up and listen. Could you present some cost-benefit analysis that may show your point?

For example, how much would an engineered solution to the path cost, vs the cost of root pruning? (which would likely need to be repeated before long as the mass of fibrous roots that will extend from the severed root will start disrupting the path again before long).

Add in to that the $ value of the tree (CAVAT/iTree etc) and the potential cost of losing it due to instability or decline due to severe root pruning....