22mm deep compression nut

Stereo

Bit off topic but figured most people here are pretty handy. Essentially we had a Gledhill Torrent heat store put in a couple years ago and it was hooked up to our gas combi as a back up source through a coil in the tank. The fitting for this is a protruding pipe with a male thead which the plumber who fittied it all up managed to bork up the thread on. It's been weeping since it was done and the boiler keeps cutting out as the pressure in the loop falls too low.

This morning I decided to pull it to bits and have a look. Essentially, the thread is the same size as standard 22mm compression joint (3/4 bsp?). But, I cannot replace the nut with another in order to re-do the joint as the end of the thread is knackered. What I think I need to do is file off the first 5mm of the thread and get a much deeper nut as there is plenty of thread behind the damaged bit. If you see what I mean? I considered cutting the end of the protrusion off to get back to clean thread but the inner is reamed to take an olive inside.

Any ideas?

If you used a "pre-loved" nut (and olive?) would they not be easily deep enough?

If as you say there is plenty of thread left behind, the nuts don't normally start "pulling" until they're quite some way on, and perhaps using a second-use one would make this even more so?

What is the pipe made of, can you not solder it in?

just some thoughts.

Hi mate, I can help you out on this one.... my original trade was a plumber!

Go to your local plumbers merchants and ask for a 3/4 female iron to copper fitting.

put some PTFE (or boss white) on the thread that you have filed back, screw the new fitting on and you will be left with a nice shiny new "socket" to connect your pipework to.

Hope this helps!

Thanks for the comments guys. Sawman, you mean something like this?

JTM End Feed Female Iron Straight ( Copper Fitting: 22 mm x 3/4")

I take it that the female thread itself needs to be the seal hence the need for PTFE etc. ? It does look like there is plenty of thread on there so it should go right onto the decent remaining male thread. Then I can just fit the existing compression elbow onto the bare pipe using a new olive. This should do the trick I think as long as I can get it to go on straight and not muller the rest of the thread.

Rover, the other pipe has been soldered on from when it was new. I have no idea why he did this as the thread looks fine on this. It's just a big mess of solder and the tank jacket is burnt all around it. I think he was a bit of a bodger unfortunately. I could do this as a last resort on the bottom fitting but would rather not unless I have to. Not least as I'm not confident with solder but have used compression fittings / ptfe etc many times over the years with no problems. Plus it looks carp and I can see it just popping off at some point, especially if somebody knocks it in the cupboard etc. . As it's just a loop into a coil there is not a lot of water in there but I would rather avoid this if I can.

Thanks for the comments guys. Sawman, you mean something like this?

JTM End Feed Female Iron Straight ( Copper Fitting: 22 mm x 3/4")

Hi, yeah thats the fitting, only you will require a compression fitting rather than a end feed fitting. (end feed requires soldering)

Probably best to go with the boss white too, rather than the PTFE because its very easy to further cock the thread up with PTFE unless you have the "knack" of using it.:thumbup: