insurance job

Lyn Ed

A little advice needed please guys, basically, went to look at a job a while back, the neighbours son tried burning a clump of pampas grass, but then the leylandi hedge caught, then the woodstore caught, then the shed and then the decking, i had to price for cutting and taking away the burnt remains of the hedge digging out stumps and re planting new leylandi's, ( supplied by customer) the insurance co accepted my quote and the customer told me he'd let me know when the new trees had arrived, so today i get a voicemail off him saying that he'd started clearing the wood himself and that he wanted to cancel me doing the job, what i'd like to know is can the insurance money go straight to him even though they accepted my quote, and would he be frauding the insurance company by doing this, cheers,

Did the insurance company accept your quote directly emailed etc from you? Or were you informed via your client that his insurance had accepted you're quote?

Not gospel, but I'd imagine that if he has filed a claim to recover costs for the damage, whether he does it is none of insurance companies interest. The same if you get paid out for vehicle damage but don't do the repairs, you still get paid. Purely speculating here.

If the insurance co. gave you the nod to go ahead, wait for him to do the work and submit your invoice to the insurance firm. Obviously this is fraud so please do not do it based on my telling you to.

I had one a few months back, was asked to quote for removal of failed tree from tennis court, I emailed quote to customer, they passed it on to the insurers.

Heard nothing, few weeks later Sun Alliance ring me asking if the work had been completed :sneaky2:

Tree was still sat on the court (which had obviously not been used for year).

Customer was just trying to cash in.

Did the insurance company accept your quote directly emailed etc from you? Or were you informed via your client that his insurance had accepted you're quote?

Not gospel, but I'd imagine that if he has filed a claim to recover costs for the damage, whether he does it is none of insurance companies interest. The same if you get paid out for vehicle damage but don't do the repairs, you still get paid. Purely speculating here.

I think you're not far off there. We had a car crash into the house a while back. Insurance assessor came and make an estimation of the costs necessary to make good, I agreed his figures, cheque arrived in the post. It's up to me who, how and when I get the remedial work done.

Similar with recent wind damage to the chimney. Insurance assessor came, made a judgement, tapped some keys on his IPad, came up with a figure. Insurance company pay that figure, I get the work done.

I think you've had it on that one but worth making a mental note for the future, if I give a quote for insurance work I'm going to send it direct to the insurance company not via the householder. It's not bomb proof, the insurance company will probably still make the pay out to the home owner and leave them to settle bills locally, but if the insurance company gives written acceptance of your quote that could be viewed as entering into a contract perhaps.

Surely they can't claim without a receipt?

The payout is for the cost of making good the damage.

The cheque arrived before the work was done after the car crash.

It's a bit different with the chimney but only because I'm challenging the 'pay-out' figure offered by the insurance company because their assessor was incompetent. If I'd have accepted it, I think the cheque would have been here weeks ago and they would have closed the file and left me to get the work done.

I may be wrong, but these are 2 very recent examples that have happened to me.