Should the AA approve contractors who run 3.5 ton trucks?

benedmonds

We all know that 3.5 to trucks are going to be overloaded in tree work.

So the AA or councils approving contractors who use them must be turning a blind eye to this, unlawful, dangerous, work practice.. Should they be?

and if it's OK to be overloaded is it OK to skirt round other H&S?

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

i think thats a little bit of a crazy thing to say ,i run a 3.5 tonner and it's payload aint to bad i can put about 1.3 ton of chip before im over ,i understand where your coming from but it would be crazy using a big lorry to do light tree work ,a 3.5 ton truck ticks a lot of boxes for tree work if only for access and only having to mot once a year ,and if an aa arb firm only run big trucks then every one would have to have a hgv or what eva you need to drive them

i think its a bit much to assume that any one other than the AAAC you suspect to be overloading does this too

bare in mind that a crewcab transit steel backed tipper must be wighed with all occupants tools and chip usually means the load cannot exceed approximately half a ton then most vans are most of the time overloaded

terry

Does the AA have the scope to police that? The scheme has made some advances of late but are they that far yet.

Where would you stop?

You could equally say they shouldn’t approve anyone who runs a mog and carries goods on red or running vehicles on ag exemptions while cutting back garden conifers.

Seriously???:001_huh:

Would be a sure fire way to kill the AA off!

Sort of off topic but I think its about time the DVLA had a good look at all industries that use 3.5 tonners and realise as we all do that in general they aren't really fit for purpose and 5 tonners fit the bill a lot better, therefore sort it out so we can run 5 tonners on normal licenses.

Your premise is false - it doesn't logically follow that because the truck exists it must be overloaded. You can overload anything.

The premise isn’t that the truck would be overloaded because it exists, it is that trucks with a MAM of 3500kg used in tree work will be overloaded, they will, nothing surer. Not all of them and not all of the time but some of them and some of the time.

Consider, a builder requires a ton of aggregate for a job, he purchases the quantity and knows how much it weighs, your jobbing tree surgeon needs to remove a tree, he can guess what it weighs but can’t be sure, his best guess is having a look at the springs, is he going to come back to site for those last couple of logs? ………Hmmmmm

This has to be one of the most i'll thought of threads ever.

Can't believe I am even replying tbh

so even though we run 18 tonners because we have a 3.5 ton one we should not be allowed to become aa aproved

we are more likely to overload a 5 tonner as folk think they can load em all the way

Might be worth banning a company that does not buy british vehicles or use arb climbing kit and chainsaws that are designed and built in this country:thumbup:

The premise isn’t that the truck would be overloaded because it exists, it is that trucks with a MAM of 3500kg used in tree work will be overloaded, they will, nothing surer. Not all of them and not all of the time but some of them and some of the time.

Consider, a builder requires a ton of aggregate for a job, he purchases the quantity and knows how much it weighs, your jobbing tree surgeon needs to remove a tree, he can guess what it weighs but can’t be sure, his best guess is having a look at the springs, is he going to come back to site for those last couple of logs? ………Hmmmmm

Uh huh. I've been there. I've been the guy throwing the big base rings on when the springs are level cos I'm two hours from home at 6 on a friday but the premise is still false. Not all 3.5t trucks are overloaded :D I get the OPs point but the idea that the AA shouldn't be approving companies that run such vehicles doesn't follow.

Edited by Amelanchier