Tirfor style winch as a zip wire for logs

scbk

Mad idea time, thinking of a way of getting timber down a steep slope.

Buy a 50m wire rope for my 1600kg "tirfor style" ace winch. String the winch up between two trees as far apart as possible and crank the winch fairly tight.

Buy a wee tandem pulley like this sort of thing:

Mountaineering Climbing Rock 25KN / 5600lbs Zip Line / Wire Cable Trolley Pulley | eBay

PETZL NEW TANDEM ARBORIST DOUBLE TYROLEAN PULLEY P21 | eBay

To run up and down the wire. And use a wee strap or whatever to attach a log to the pulley. And a cheap rope to pull the empty carriage back up with.

The logs wouldn't be too heavy, they would all be liftable by hand.

The braking system at the bottom would need some thought!

Do you think it would work, how much sag would there be in the middle of the 50m cable with 30kg+- of log on it. Not so much use if each end needs to be 30ft in the air to stop it grounding!

:001_smile:

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

don't get 50m of steel wire get 50 m of cheap rope run the pulley on it. *that would solve the pulley problem.

if you get static rope i.e. no stretch that will help with sag.

with a rope you can create a breaking system if you put an alpine butterfly knot (x) number of feet/meters away from the tirfor.

also if you have a cheap rope as a haul back system you can tie that off so the log stops before the end.

but last time I used a zip line the log hit the floor and stopped before it got to the end of the line.

sorry if my writings a bit sporadic

We install and load test cableways over rivers for flow measurement purposes.

I'd suggest that you don't need to use a 'full size' steel cable for the majority of your span - 6mm (7 x 19 will be flexible enough) should be more than sufficient. Make up an eye in each end so it can be shackled at each end - one to a fixed strop around a tree etc, and the other to a strop which can then be used to tension through the tirfor or similar device. That way you can easily carry the coil of 6mm by hand rather than having to lug around a large coil of 9/10/11 mm cable.

Tension wise, we set all our cables to sit with a sag of 2% of total span with a working weight of 50kg, ie a 1m sag over a 50m span. We can set the cables to this tension using a simple 750kg chain hoist.

Unfortunately I am some way south of you on the west coast as I have literally miles of scrap cable here which would be suitable for your purposes!

Some great ideas and suggestions :001_cool:

I like the idea of using a thinner cable, and I could then get a longer length to get further up the hill - 100m would be good! Although can't remember how many good trees there are to tie it off

Waterbouy, whereabouts in Argyll are you? Might be a good excuse for a trip in the van with the other half! :laugh1: