Chainsaw boots V Steel toe cap boots and gloves

Hunterdoncaster

Hello again people, I have been getting some PPE gear together before I buy my saw and I am now reading about Chainsaw boots?

Do I really need these ?

In a nut shell they cost a fortune and I can't see much difference between them and my work boots that I use every day (steel toe and steel heel)

Do I really need dedicated chainsaw boots or will my work boots do the job, and while I'm down this road how about chainsaw gloves ?

operating a chainsaw obviously has its dangers over other power tools but are dedicated chainsaw gloves just a money spinner, from what I am reading most saws have protection built in to protect your hands , Id wear a pair of normal PPE gloves with out a doubt but I just wanted to know what experienced users thoughts on this...

I understand that some people are accidents waiting to happen and I am all for looking after number 1 but I'm wondering if I will need a chainsaw badge to go with the boots and a dedicated chainsaw cup to drink from while I shine my new badge...

Rob

Edited by Hunterdoncaster

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Gloves are a total waste of money, boots are less of a waste of money.

Sent from my iPhone using Arbtalk

so there's a good chance your going to connect with your foot with the saw ?

Only way I can see chainsaw boots having more protection must be in the rise of the boot where the laces are?

There must be boot covers or something out there to get round this ?

I'm thinking two plates of 5mm steel out of my garage bent in the vice will do the job just as good...

I could tape them with Gaffa tape to the front of my boots, job done.

so there's a good chance your going to connect with your foot with the saw ?

Only way I can see chainsaw boots having more protection must be in the rise of the boot where the laces are?

There must be boot covers or something out there to get round this ?

I'm thinking two plates of 5mm steel out of my garage bent in the vice will do the job just as good...

I could tape them with Gaffa tape to the front of my boots, job done.

:laugh1: the iron Man look :lol: stop being a tight arse and buy some boots

Just from personal experience I've clipped my boots A few times Boots are just as important as chainsaw pants in my opinion

Wouldn't bother with gloves waste of time

That's what I wanted to know, so it is a common thing then?

Didn't realise I opened such a can of worms, right boots it is then, I have a life time of cutting to do so I guess in the long run they will pay for them selves ...thanks pal

I'd always recommend saw boots, I hate seeing people cut without them.

Saw gloves are rubbish. Get a good pair of well fitting gloves which keep your hands warm, protect you from scratches and let you keep a good grip. Then get another pair so you can put them on in the afternoon once the morning's pair are soaked.

Like said, you'll need proper saw gloves if you're doing any training.