ms150 t carburetor

jose

Mine was running very poor,use it for 10 mins and it would just die and only start again a while later.

Dropped it off at Lister wilder to sort out and they have just told me it needs a new carb.

This saw has hardly had much use, is just over a yr old.

They tell me its all the ethonol in the petrol corrodes the aluminum in the carb hence needing to replace it.

Anybody else have this?

Strikes me as more poor showing from sthil if parts that cost nearly a quarter of the whole saw dont last the yr!

Not sure id Aspen prevents this or not.

Thought welcome please.

Cheers

Ethanol is hygroscopic, it absorbs water and this may have an effect on aluminium or aluminium based alloys. Having said that, there would need to be 10% + ethanol content to have much of an effect on the carb.

Aspen doesn't contain ethanol so will not cause issues.

Having said that, I have only ever changed two carbs in my time and they were on high mileage old model saws.

I often think new carb fitment is a sign of a lazy tech who can't be bothered to get to the bottom of the issue and a new carb is an easy option.

I will get a bit of flack for that statement but hey ho - I just save the cost of a new carb by taking out the H & L screws and getting some cleaner down them and if this doesn't sort them, a clean in the Ultrasonic cleaner - all part of a full service and isn't THAT time consuming.

On saws with accelerator pumps, I fit new pumps, a little tricky but cheaper than a new carb!

On a carb a year old - my gut feeling is that a clean will sort it!

To be honest, they are quite correct when they say that ethanol corrodes aluminium. It does indeed cause damage to carbs, and in that case new carbs are required.

But, at 12 months old I would doubt this is the case, but if it is, then evidence will be clear to see.

Aspen would alleviate any such problems. The only fuel related issues you can get with Aspen is if you get any contamination in via a funnel whilst filling.

I think they are taking the easy way out or trying for more money. I've not seen any corrosion from leaving carbs with petrol in only staining and diaphragm damage. Get it looked at independently or do it yourself. If a carb is a quarter of the cost of a new saw they certainly know how to charge. From what I can find Garden hire spares does a Tillotson replacement for £27 or you can get a Zama C1Q-S57 for £12.57

When i spoke on the phone today he said that they have had loads of these saws come in with the same problems, and they try to clean up the carbs but this doesnt fix it as they cannot get it clean enough.

Added to that the time they spend doing it works in labour costs out similar to replacing the carb.

I sent it in as it had a cracked handle aswell ( the mystery damage that nobody had a clue as to how it happened!) and i got to say i was very surprised when they came back saying it needed a new carb.

Spark plug i can understand but a new carb? I love the light weight saw but ive never thought its run right tbh, wouldnt be surprised if this is a way of they ironing out a poor design using joe public to test and fix at our ouw cost.

i will definitely get them to give me the carb that comes out as i want to have a look myself.

Thanks for your input guys

Mine was running very poor,use it for 10 mins and it would just die and only start again a while later.

Dropped it off at Lister wilder to sort out and they have just told me it needs a new carb.

This saw has hardly had much use, is just over a yr old.

They tell me its all the ethonol in the petrol corrodes the aluminum in the carb hence needing to replace it.

Anybody else have this?

Strikes me as more poor showing from sthil if parts that cost nearly a quarter of the whole saw dont last the yr!

Not sure id Aspen prevents this or not.

Thought welcome please.

Cheers

Hi,

As other Arbtalkers have said Aspen does not contain Ethanol. Carbs are often now found with white deposits inside, this is the ethanol stripping the coating/ plating off the Ally of the carb. Also the pump fuels leave deposits that can block the fine jetting and pathways inside the carb.

Aspen would eliminate all of the above issues and guarantees your mix is correct so apart from dirt getting in when refuelling you will have no more fuel related problems.

Now is an ideal time to switch and run your new carb on Aspen from day one.

Please contact me if you have any questions

07568 108953