Isa, bsc or treelife?

samiad

Hello there

I have a small tree buisness self employed and ive been doing ok for the past 5 years having just a pile of nptc qualifications and a degree in ecology from a while back (not particularly relevant in most cases but looks good to clients). Ive been made aware recently though of the limitations of what i can actually do with those certs. I want to improve my knowledge and arb theory and would like to be in a position where I have nothing to worry about liability wise in terms of written suggestions and advice for tree care, tree hazard asessments etc. I not looking to go down the consultancy path whole hog doing 5837 tree surveys etc but i'd like to be self sufficient with the work im doing and confident that im covered. I was hoping to get some advice on my plan from you lot!

Plan:

1.Get membership this week with ISA and buy learning materials, start revising and training.

2.Take the test to become ISA certified in April (im told ths counts as a level 2 qual in arb?)

Part of me hopes this will do but if not then im considering either treelifes level 4 arb course starting in oct or myerscoughs arb level 5 online final year direct entry. What would your pick be there? My gut says the treelife course wil be better and i'l learn more but the degree is level 5 and will cover me for more on paper?

Obviously this is all going to take a few years but im just after some guidance.

cheers

sam

The ISA cert arborist is ok but has big limitations in the fact that it is self taught - read, memorise, repeat - and the exam is multiple choice, i would suggest you seriously consider the RFS cert Arb, it's also level 2 but you will 'learn' more and it is recognised in the u.k. It also has the extension possibilities of the full cert arb status if supported by a selection of n.p.t.c. Tickets - most of which you may have already.

The ISA cert arborist is ok but has big limitations in the fact that it is self taught - read, memorise, repeat - and the exam is multiple choice, i would suggest you seriously consider the RFS cert Arb, it's also level 2 but you will 'learn' more and it is recognised in the u.k. It also has the extension possibilities of the full cert arb status if supported by a selection of n.p.t.c. Tickets - most of which you may have already.

Interesting, ive never heard of this path il look into it! Cheers. You know any places that teach it?

I did ISA then went through L4 (the old tech cert version) and then on to L6. L2 will not teach you to write tree reports to a high standard. Its more aimed at being a knowledgeable tree surgeon. L4 will equip you for doing mortgage reports and risk surveys. L6 is more targeted at bs5837, subsidence, and writing strategic documents although you will touch on 5837 and subs at L4.

I would go this route and do it with tree life. They are top class.

I did ISA then went through L4 (the old tech cert version) and then on to L6. L2 will not teach you to write tree reports to a high standard. Its more aimed at being a knowledgeable tree surgeon. L4 will equip you for doing mortgage reports and risk surveys. L6 is more targeted at bs5837, subsidence, and writing strategic documents although you will touch on 5837 and subs at L4.

I would go this route and do it with tree life. They are top class.

sounds like level 4 is where i'd like to be at long term. how demanding did you find it time wise and stepping up from isa level? i like the idea of attending classes but also working on tools and doing some online. seems like a great setup down there at treelife.