Tree surveys using Access

Adam M

Hi,

I've been looking over tree survey software and can't help thinking that they all essentially a MS Access database glued into a map editor. While I don't think I can make a link between mapping software and Access, I think that Access could be used to make inspection records while showing survey history etc. There is a template available online here: Search results for vehicle - Templates

It's a vehicle maintenance record/planner which I'm going to have a go at adapting. If I get anything worthwhile out of it, I'll gladly share it. If successful, I anticipate using this on tablets out and about. I'm scratching my head about how to deal with the mapping side although I think Google Maps could be used. I have ArcGIS available which I understand might entitle my organisation to a mobile version which may or may not be user friendly in this circumstance.

I've spoken with a few of you about specific recording systems and I rather hoped we would be able to fund at least an entry level system but I've been tasked with looking at what I already have available to see if I can adapt it. Does anyone use Access for this purpose? Does anyone use Access? In my experience whenever the programme is mentioned in any circumstance, people facepalm.

While I don't think I can make a link between mapping software and Access,

Easy enough with mapmaker but you'll need the pro version.

I think that Access could be used to make inspection records while showing survey history etc. There is a template available online here: Search results for vehicle - Templates

I'm not very good with databases but have tried to adapt ones (for team skills)and think it best to start from scratch.

You need to consider the basic architecture of what you want out of the database. It's easy enough to create a flat table with a record consisting of a unique index co-ordinates, tag ( but who needs a tag if the co-ordinates are accurate and replicable), heigh, girth, crown spread, condition and date. What else are you wanting?

I haven't used Access in over 10 years since I realised Ecel does almost everything it does without the fuss.

You need a map that will generate your current position as a 1 metre grid reference. Then you need to get your system to insert the grid reference into a database or spreadsheet. That's all that Pocket GIS and similar systems do really. That's the hard part though. If you're tagging and recording without grid references it's so very very easy with any spreadsheet on any computer, tablet or handheld. Time needs to be spent on creating lookup tables, but once done you have them forever.