how to secure my new shed??

shillo

my new shed is nearly finished, but now im worried how to secure the 2 main doors, does anyone have any good ways of doing so? ive been looking at big padlocks and padbars. If you search the big padlock manufacturers on youtube they tell you how to pick all of them, not very reassuring!

The doors are simply 2 agricultural style sheeted metal doors which are to somehow lock in the middle.

any recommendations?

Thanks

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

assuming they are hinged not sliding i would install hasp and staples with covered fixings, use three, top, bottom and middle, use three different padlocks of the closed shackle type, as well as maybe a ground anchor to slam the door against, anti burst hinges, or at least anti burst bars and cover the whole lot in carpet gripper varnished for longevity:thumbup1: maybe a trembler/screamer padlock as one of your defences

I spent a fortune on decent locks, then one day the keys were missing. It took me probably less than 3secs to undo the lock with basic tools. Very disheartening. A security friend of mine says a "skilled" burglar can disable most systems with very little effort (best we dont list methods here:001_rolleyes:) I'd go for many different methods, just cos the sheds "secure" lock down anything and everything with separate cables, chains locks, alarm cables, every extra inconvenience slows them down.

may not be securing but a freind had his steel shed in the back of his yard broken into so made his own alarm by fitting a switch with a deley . on the door and attached it to a bird scarer .

a week later it went off in the night he found the shed open nothing missing

get some 16mm chain ,& expencive pad locks ,thers plenty that cant be picked,chubb,cisa,ingersall, all anti pick but not bottle proof

just have a look on youtube, there are loads of videos of people picking all those locks and they make it look easy

It's a bit shocking how easy it looks to pick some of these "good" padlocks from the Youtube vids, however I doubt that the people who sniff around shed generally have the skills, patience, or intelligence to do it.

I nowadays like to use a good padlock and then make it as hard as possible to get at the padlock, by boxing it in or shrouding it. You only need to be able to get a hand in with a key to work the lock, someone trying to pick it needs two hands, to cut it they need croppers or a hot spanner, so it is possible to make it harder.

Ultimately (and sadly) if they want in, they will get in. All you can to is make it take longer and increase the chance of them getting caught doing it, and by doing so make it more attractive to them to go elsewhere and break into someone else's shed.

If you have hinged doors and they're not terribly strong, consider using a removable bar (channel section RSJ or similar) that fits to strongpoints on both doorjambs across the doorway.