Welcome to the Arbtalk.co.uk | Discussion Forum for Arborists.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Stolen Equipment List your stolen equipment here

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 20-12-09   #1 (permalink)
Supporting member, Raffle Sponsor 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013

justice system wrong or right??

I thought this may be of interest as alot of people getting broken into,
an interesting story was the guy right to do what he did to the invader of his home, i think personally i would have done the same once you switch on to protect your family.

was he right or wrong or was the court right or wrong Discuss.....

Jail for ‘courageous’ Munir Hussain who beat intruder with cricket bat - Times Online
Old 20-12-09   #2 (permalink)

Re: justice system wrong or right??

Yeah hes in there whilst rapists and pedos are let out and the kids that only get a slap on the wrist for repeat repeat repeat offending!

Like I said in another post I have a silkey in doors and if I have to protect my self with it I will.

A few months ago on crime watch there was a incident where a couple were at home and there was a knock at the door. The male home owner opened the door and two black blokes pushed the way in, not only did they rob the house one of the raiders took the woman who was heavily pregnant upstairs and rape her.

These type of people are scum and they should bring back the death penalty.
Old 20-12-09   #3 (permalink)

As soon as the other person flees or try’s to self-defence no longer exists in your mitigation,

Chasing someone down the street then bludgeoning them is NOT self-defence or defence of a 3rd party (coming to there aid) neither is it detaining them using minimal force AKA a “citizens arrest”

Had he bludgeoned him in his own home had he or his family been attacked in it then that would be very different BUT minimal force would still apply.
Old 20-12-09   #4 (permalink)
Supporting Member, Raffle Sponsor 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011

While chasing someone down the street and nearly killing them with a bat ok is not self defence, but, I think they should take in to consideration what the average man/woman would do in this situation. Which unless you have been in it I doubt you can say what each and everyone one of us would do.

We arent 'trained' to deal with a situation like this so how can it sort of be unreasonable force!

A comment from the article:-

"In light of this fact, chasing a criminal of 50 convictions down and incapacitating him for life, after he violently attached your wife and children, is not only self defense, it is in defence of us all."

That about sums it up for me
Old 20-12-09   #5 (permalink)

I think that if they bring back corporal punishment then it would put a lot of people off of comitting a crime.

If someone robs someone of their human right, through rape, murder etc, then they should have no human right of their own.

The criminal in this case ended up gettin what was coming to him, and won't be committing any more crimes.

But i would say that the householder shouldn't of brought a cricket bat to the guys head till it broke in three places. But in the heat of things i would have probably chased the criminal aswell.
Old 20-12-09   #6 (permalink)
Senior member, Raffle Sponsor 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013

So we are expected to chase them outside and then just shake a fist at them and call them rotters as they run away?
If someone tied up my family and threatened them with knives, i would of done exactly the same, except my weapon would be a skateboard.
Old 20-12-09   #7 (permalink)
Supporting Member, Raffle Sponsor 2010, 2012

Self defence and retaliation are very different things. It's not the actions here that need be up for debate - it's the sentence.
Old 20-12-09   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by nepia View Post
Self defence and retaliation are very different things. It's not the actions here that need be up for debate - it's the sentence.
Yes I quite agree . Although as said before if youve not been trained to deal with situations like this . And its suddenly brought on you surely instinct would kick in to protect your loved ones . Some will go into shock some will feel fear and nearly all men I know would react with violence . I,m not praising his actions but family pain knives = Big Reaction . And I for one tip my hat to you sir .
Old 20-12-09   #9 (permalink)
Senior Member, Raffle Sponsor 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013

In the case last year when I witnessed the old guy being violently mugged, our lass was driving the car, we were driving along side the muggers who were running down the pavement, I had the door open and was hanging out ready to jump when the car slowed enough. I was screaming at our lass to stop.

Our lass had more sense than me, there were two of them and they were from notorious families it turned out, I would have had no hesitation on a spur of the moment decision in tackling them both and if neccessary breaking legs arms or whatever it took to subdue them.

I told the police when interviewed I tried to grab the steering wheel to run them over, I would have tupped their legs if I had been driving.

Spur of the moment or emotional decisions in situation we dont normally find ourselves in are unpredictable and sometimes dangerous, this should be taken into consideration by the judge.

What I would like to see is an no holds barred right to protect your home from an intruder, to me home burglary is indefencable and the lowest of the low.

When you come home and close that door you should be safe and woe betide anyone who breaches that safety.

I think a burgular should accept the risks of his chosen occupation the same as we accept the risks of ours

www.dalofthousetreesurgery.co.uk
Old 20-12-09   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean Lofthouse View Post
In the case last year when I witnessed the old guy being violently mugged, our lass was driving the car, we were driving along side the muggers who were running down the pavement, I had the door open and was hanging out ready to jump when the car slowed enough. I was screaming at our lass to stop.

Our lass had more sense than me, there were two of them and they were from notorious families it turned out, I would have had no hesitation on a spur of the moment decision in tackling them both and if neccessary breaking legs arms or whatever it took to subdue them.

I told the police when interviewed I tried to grab the steering wheel to run them over, I would have tupped their legs if I had been driving.

Spur of the moment or emotional decisions in situation we dont normally find ourselves in are unpredictable and sometimes dangerous, this should be taken into consideration by the judge.

What I would like to see is an no holds barred right to protect your home from an intruder, to me home burglary is indefencable and the lowest of the low.

When you come home and close that door you should be safe and woe betide anyone who breaches that safety.

I think a burgular should accept the risks of his chosen occupation the same as we accept the risks of ours
Same as,you don't ask them to disrupt your life,so be it on their heads,IMO.