Security measures thread

Starscream

It seems we live in sadder and sadder times with post after post of stolen equipment. I myself have been victim to theft a couple of times, one recently. I keep stepping up security measures, but it's never enough. Only last week I had my garage door literally ripped from its housing. They took a 66, 26 and a beloved 200t. They could've taken more but luckily they didn't.

So everything is now bolted to the floor and I'll be installing an alarm. We are going to completely re-jig the garage so there is only one way in and I'm going to try and make it bomb proof. But, where does it end? I thought they were pretty secure until the brazen bottom feeders did that to the door.

I'm kind of hoping people can share their security measures for those of us who may not have thought of something, or a measure that has actually thwarted an attempt.

As we are aware tools are rarely recovered, so whilst micro dots and listing serial numbers are great, they don't really do much. These people make a living from stolen gear and they will do anything to get at it.

One thing I keep seeing/hearing is "My truck got done over and they got x,y & z".

Now this is an easy one and I emplore people to NEVER leave kit in vehicles. It WILL get taken.

Let's not give them a free ride. Post your security measures so that there's less of our hard earned tools/kit getting into the hands of these scum.

Matt

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It seems we live in sadder and sadder times with post after post of stolen equipment. I myself have been victim to theft a couple of times, one recently. I keep stepping up security measures, but it's never enough. Only last week I had my garage door literally ripped from its housing. They took a 66, 26 and a beloved 200t. They could've taken more but luckily they didn't.

So everything is now bolted to the floor and I'll be installing an alarm. We are going to completely re-jig the garage so there is only one way in and I'm going to try and make it bomb proof. But, where does it end? I thought they were pretty secure until the brazen bottom feeders did that to the door.

I'm kind of hoping people can share their security measures for those of us who may not have thought of something, or a measure that has actually thwarted an attempt.

As we are aware tools are rarely recovered, so whilst micro dots and listing serial numbers are great, they don't really do much. These people make a living from stolen gear and they will do anything to get at it.

One thing I keep seeing/hearing is "My truck got done over and they got x,y & z".

Now this is an easy one and I emplore people to NEVER leave kit in vehicles. It WILL get taken.

Let's not give them a free ride. Post your security measures so that there's less of our hard earned tools/kit getting into the hands of these scum.

Matt

No! Don't tell anyone your security measures.

Layers are imperative, anything that wastes as much time as possible!

Armorguard do some excellent tool chests/cabinets, these bolted to th ground means they can't pick up the whole thing, then two chains welded to the inside of the chest which feed through the handles of the saws and then padlocked.

Plus 2 doors with 2 locks on each before they can even get that far!

There are some good magnet alarms that can be put on doors so that as soon as the door is opened it starts th alarm then you have a fob or a pin to type in to disarm it otherwise after a certain amount of time it will call you/police, and make an absolute racket at the same time which normally scares any would be thieves away anyway!

Good luck, I feel your pain, but there will always be these scum in this world unfortunately!

You can't stop 'em you can't only slow' em down

This

I did a job for one of the bigwigs at Chubb.

He freely admitted that they don't sell security but they do sell you time, if you have enough of that you can protect your stuff.

What you do with the body is your problem though :laugh1:

This

I did a job for one of the bigwigs at Chubb.

He freely admitted that they don't sell security but they do sell you time, if you have enough of that you can protect your stuff.

What you do with the body is your problem though :laugh1:

I disagree.

I am not going to discuss my security but I will know what the thieves are doing before they do it.

Forget about alarms, what you need is security cameras that alert you when someone is prowling.

Thieves can have what, 4,5,6 hours etc at least breaking in and cleaning the place out before someone might see them using traditional methods.