Warning to anyone using the 'pinto' canopy anchor method

ANK

Thought I should post this as a heads up to anyone climbing SRT. This happened after installing my line using the alpine butterfly, pinto and carabiner method for a top tie in. The 'nose' of the alpine butterfly (seen here) rubbed against the other leg of rope as I ran it up to the top and glazed through to the core. The anchor can't have been any higher than 70 foot either. Definitely a little unnerving climbing on it and then discovering that after I untied it!!

1459670308236.jpg.8dfa8234975f657fd55e3c5dc8956d2b.jpg

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

with the outer core broken it would not reduce the strength massively.

I would agree with steve that that amount of damage would probably not happened from pulling it up 70 ft.

was there any ropes running around the canopy.

sorry im not an srt climber so not sure of your set up and how it works.

glad your safe

Id be careful with that kind of advice. Manufacturers clearly state what kind of damage would cause rope failure and cause rope strength reduction significantly.

With damage like shown in the pic Pictures are pictures and you can always see better in the flesh as so to speak

But that sort of damage would it pass a LOLER Test ??