LOLER certifiable splices

openboater

Sorry if I'm going over old ground but I have a question. Can anyone talk me through the process and prices involved in getting my splices certified to be able to issue certificates with them. One of my local arb supplyists has asked me to gather the information as some of his frequent customers are asking for custom spliced products. I am already a LOLER inspector and splice just for my own satisfaction. I'm not in the position of needing to do it for a monthly wage. Many thanks.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sorry if I'm going over old ground but I have a question. Can anyone talk me through the process and prices involved in getting my splices certified to be able to issue certificates with them. One of my local arb supplyists has asked me to gather the information as some of his frequent customers are asking for custom spliced products. I am already a LOLER inspector and splice just for my own satisfaction. I'm not in the position of needing to do it for a monthly wage. Many thanks.

I don't know the full details, but I remember speaking to Nod about this in some detail several years ago, and I think unless you are going to be doing a large quantity of splices it will never be financially feasible to get yourself ce certified as a splicer. Perhaps speak to Honeys....as far as I am aware they are the only company currently able to offer CE certified splices

Can you splice rigging ropes as the splice doesn't need to be certified?

The spliced eye of a rigging rope is included in the LOLER inspection. If someone presents a rope for inspection with a homemade eye I will not pass it. There is no possible way to inspect the construction and quality of the splice with out pulling it apart. There is no difference in this respect between rigging ropes and climbing ropes that are classed as PPE. Only that PPE should be inspected at least every 6 months and rigging kit at least every 12.

The details on the identification label of any rope are traceable and will identify wether or not the rope was sold with a sewn eye, a spliced eye, two eyes or none at all.

I get your point but I have always been on the understanding that rigging lines can be hand spliced.

I splice my own gear and have never had any problems with LOLER.

Plenty of companies provide riggin lines that have been spliced by hand.

I get your point but I have always been on the understanding that rigging lines can be hand spliced.

I splice my own gear and have never had any problems with LOLER.

Plenty of companies provide riggin lines that have been spliced by hand.

Thump up.

If you splice yourself and have had them tested then you should really know what is a good splice and what isn't.

It's not difficult, a correctly made splice is just that.

how can just fail a splice like that? surely if your knowledgable about the splice and can see its followed the manufacture instructions then whats the reason to fail it? LOLER would drive me mad in the UK (this isnt aimed at the original poster, just in general)