SRT devices banned from the Swedish Climbing comp

Dilz

Bloody germans ruining everything! The organisers of the climbing comp here in Sweden have banned SRT devices including the RW :thumbdown: - stating the RW isnt CE marked and just because ISC say its not PPE doesnt mean it isnt PPE - totally failing to grasp in my mind what the WR actually is and that is something which allows a hitch to work better on a single line and is in no way load bearing or life support - it just stops the hitch biting too tight and wearing out too quick on rapid descents - its the hitch cord that is PPE / life support and not the wrench if you take the wrench off its not like you fall to your death - in fact its very hard to move anywhere! - or have i got this massively wrong? is the RW technically PPE? IF so. how??

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Bloody germans ruining everything! The organisers of the climbing comp here in Sweden have banned SRT devices including the RW :thumbdown: - stating the RW isnt CE marked and just because ISC say its not PPE doesnt mean it isnt PPE - totally failing to grasp in my mind what the WR actually is and that is something which allows a hitch to work better on a single line and is in no way load bearing or life support - it just stops the hitch biting too tight and wearing out too quick on rapid descents - its the hitch cord that is PPE / life support and not the wrench if you take the wrench off its not like you fall to your death - in fact its very hard to move anywhere! - or have i got this massively wrong? is the RW technically PPE? IF so. how??

Does it allow you to climb on a single line? Could you move around and work without it?

Not that I care just playing devils advocate.

It is load bearing.

Also playing Devils advocate.

The rope wrench? :thumbup:

Like I said I couldn't care I climb on a wrench and have no issue with it, but it's the world we are in now, I couldn't specify the use brush cutters on site the other day to cut down nettles as we didn't have the ticket, so I specified hedge-cutters....

If the rope wrench is load bearing then so must the tether that is used...so all tethers need to be CE marked as that is how the RW is attached to the climber other wise what is the point of having a load bearing device attached to a climber by any old bit of string wrapped in gaffer tape?.

and yes the Dudesons.. fine Finish chaps.... the fat one cut his thumb off with a chainsaw....

but going down that route does that mean that the only systems that can be used are CE approved ones i.e teufelberger CE sytems (CE= Creatively Expensive....its shame im not allowed to swear.... )

Makes you wonder who put in the complaint in the first place....

I think that'd be pretty shortsighted actually Mark.

They've had hard enough time finding someone to organize everything as it is, last years almost got cancelled.

It's a surprising amount of work to hold the comp, as I understand voluntary but expenses paid (with a limit)

Perhaps trying to educate the organizers would be a better approach (they're just ordinary arborists, neither have that much experience but hats of to them for trying!)