Top tie

Marc

After having met up with some of you on the weekend for another play about with SRT with hopefully a positive step towards making SRT an industry standard one thing that struck me whilst looking at all the different configuration is the lack of what for me is a simple and elegant top tie soloution.

I use the pinto and carabiner to me it is secure with very few drawbacks other than retrieval if you have to pull through/over branches. The negatives being we are configuring a piece of hardware in a way it is not designed to be used, if you capture the working leg in the carabiner also you are backing up the pinto only a carabiner is not ideal in a choked configuration.

I also like knot blocking using a cambium saver, with this you are using a product designed as a top anchor with rings albeit not in a configuration it was intended, the advantages are it retrieves more easily over a choked pinto. It's negatives are, it's not midline attachable (unless you bodge something together like I have) and if you are moving back to your tie in point the weight of the rope can cause large amounts of slack in your system- there are soloution a to this like using a quick release clamp to stop the line falling through but it is not particularly robust in my opinion although I would happily use it.

The best soloution I saw was using some kind of Mallion or shackle as a top tie, only there is nothing particularly ideal at present that I have seen.

Any thoughts on a good simple robust retrievable top tie?

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Have been using a Dmm green ring on a double alpine. I still like a pinto tie off though and for the most will use it as it's the quickest to set from the canopy although with ring there is less retrieval issues it just takes longer to set up...

I will on odd occasions just use a dmm revolver, I know it's not designed for that use but it fits perfect !

Have a look on " Facebook srt group " loads of discussion on this subject:)

To lazy, and afraid of becoming a fully paid member of the occult.

Joking aside I've seen a lot of the top ties.

Maybe my point is show me something easy and robust, something you would teach someone who has never climbed before that cannot be configured wrong and is mid line attachable.

Have been using a Dmm green ring on a double alpine. I still like a pinto tie off though and for the most will use it as it's the quickest to set from the canopy although with ring there is less retrieval issues it just takes longer to set up...

I will on odd occasions just use a dmm revolver, I know it's not designed for that use but it fits perfect !

A DMM ring set-up you describe is a solid set-up with the only drawback it's a bit of a faff to set-up, hence why use the pinto set-up.

Mallion on a prussik loop.

Simple and I cannot find fault with it, Petzl have used mallions with their cambium savers, good off axis strength, you could back it up if you wanted to.

Why are we not using it then? Basically what's the con- top tie diameter and Prussik length maybe.

So why not just mid line knot and connect with a mallion midline.

So why not just mid line knot and connect with a mallion midline.

I think that would be my go to choice if i had to pick one solid, fast retrievable anchor until the end of time.. It should still retrieve fairly well from a couple of redirects by adding a fairlead pulley or revolver around the working line that is attached to the retrieval side.. sort of in tandem below the maillon

Im going to try it out this week:thumbup1:

I think that would be my go to choice if i had to pick one solid, fast retrievable anchor until the end of time.. It should still retrieve fairly well from a couple of redirects by adding a fairlead pulley or revolver around the working line that is attached to the retrieval side.. sort of in tandem below the maillon

Im going to try it out this week:thumbup1:

Do it and tell me what you think, in the meantime I'll continue to use my shonky techniques, or maybe dig into that pile of unused gear I have for a mallion and try it myself only I seem to spend more time behind a desk than up a tree these days.