RW Tethers and friction

stewmo

Hiya

Been playing about a bit with the wrench (with a 4srt tether on Yale Blue Tongue).

From my initial climbs wondering why tethers aren't solid?

When taking up slack there is a certain amount of friction in moving the wrench up the rope, and I see that the tether flexes under the strain and increases the effort involved. If the tether was solid this would be minimised??

Also In making the jump from a hitch climber ddrt I'm also aware that when the rope has a clear run the slack tending is effortless compared to with the wrench. Obviously there are times when it's not at all easier and the wrench (read all srt devices) is so consistent, but overall do you think it averages out, sometimes easier sometimes harder?

Cheers

Solid tethers can be snapped or bent and not spring back.. in my experience tethers work better when they have some elasticity and room for flex. I tried a solid tether once but it was actually more of a hassle because you constantly have to be aware of not bending your tether when clambering through forks and around branches. If you want less friction from the wrench use 11mm as mentioned