What are the dangers of using SRT?

Dilz

I was speaking to someone today and SRT in trees came up - He ket saying about people not knowing the dangers of it but didnt really say what the dangers exactly are.... apart from taking a fall on a static line

i've been thinking and i have a few - but wondering if any people have their own thoughts.

SO - my thoughts.

-Increased load on the anchor point when using a base tie

(though the to what extent is the load reduced by using multiple anchor points, anchor point diameter?? and that having the rope run over multiple anchors some one mitigates the risk if one fails.

- Extra tension in the rope - making it more more susectible to be being severed if cut and / or failing if damaged

- Base tie can leave a rope running down the side of tree - potential for large limbs or pieces bouncing and damaging the rope.

(I should mention of a risk of the groundy cutting the rope or the climber cutting the standing part of the rope - but then this says alot about the quality of the groundsman being used and the lack of situational awareness of the climber rather than a fault with the system - also if cutting a second attachement point / strop should be in place.

- If using a fully static rope then increased risk of spinal injury if slack is the system and a fall occurs.

(my argument against is - best climbing practices, and that many ropes used in SRT in trees are also used for DdRT)

-Climbing to close to you top anchor and forgetting to undo the HAAS and getting the whole thing jammed up and dangling about like a lemon for 10 minutes trying to sort it out

The only other danger i can think of is that its made it less likely i will quit climbing anytime soon and do something sensible.

and thats all I have given my limited knowledge and experience in SRT

anyone got anything thay would like to add?

Jepson's take on the inherent dangers of SRT mirror mine.

http://allabouttrees.com/wp-content/uploads/guides/climber/Single_Rope_Technique_SRT.pdf

As long as you truly get the force multiplier affect, and only use redirect points capable of withstanding those forces? No problem.

Otherwise, you might get hoit.

Jomoco

When I was new to SRT on one occasion I races up to about 40 ft with a haas and pantin ,stopped for a breather and realised I had not clipped my main carabiner and hitch to the harness only the ascenders where attached to the rope and my neck tether had been advancing the hitch climber and wrench so all seemed normal .... I also witnessed some one else do the exact same thing a few months later so it's not just me who made that stupid dangerous mistake !

I think on a new system it's very important to check list every thing and not get distracted by a load of new gadgets your not used too and make sure your primary support is always in place and the first thing you check.

I think the main danger is it makes you a God in the eyes of most beautiful women.

You are bound to get injured at some point fighting them off either that or wearing it down to a nubbin!

Yes I've also had the same problem Rich, well almost, in my twisted mind anyway.

The main danger of SRT is that we're only climbing on a single rope and that's gotta be dodgy, innit!