Oak prices

valcat

A lot depends on quality, where you are in the country, anything particularly long, diameter relative to length (i.e. will it make a good beam section), is there a full load etc.

Lower end, £3/Hoppus, upper end £6/Hoppus, unless it's something really special (e.g. burry all over).

Alec

Burry - depends how burry. If it's very burry then it can be worth a fair bit more. Not my field but if you use the 'search' function you'll find a few recent posts.

Brown is a niche market. It won't go for structural but may go for decorative. A lot depends on how brown it is, and how far through. There is different demand for brown and tiger (brown and clear streaked). It goes in and out of fashion which dictates price. Don't expect to get a lot more for it (if any) but you'll probably do better by selling it separately. What sort of size are the brown butts?

You're some way out of my area so don't know anyone local to you (closest is near Maidstone).

Alec

Someone 'phoned me up recently asking a similar question; wondered if £60/tonne standing was right?!! Not being a big oak man, I still thought that was crazy?? :confused1:

If the butts were of good quality and you were only paying for the butts rather than the branchwood, you could make a fair bit of money there. The only problem is the gamble taken with standing Oak sales - you don't know whether there will be shake or not.

I always seem to pay about £3-4 a hoppus, but I often take small parcels (a trailer load or two) which command a lower price as they're not economical for wagons to move.

Regarding pricing your lot, your brown might be a pound or so more a hoppus than your standard, and depending on how burred the burred lumps are dictates your pricing for that. Nice even pipping on a good butt could be £7 a hoppus. Full (and I mean complete for at least 2m) burr can be over £80 a hoppus.