BREAKING Bloody Needles....

MOG

Keep breaking needles done 3 now and they all my small ones. thought i post on here and find out tips to not have this happen?

i.e what type needles you use?

Little tricks?

the needles i use are made in england and are sail makers needles, "Forged best cast steel" its says "genuine" it says, make is "smith and son" but the heads keep break where the thread is. if i do it further back on the splice doesnt look right and guess its not doing its job as much. Any help be great, lucky haven't had one go through the hand tho.

MOG

I've busted a couple in the same way you describe Matt. Ive found If you try to only use the pliers away from the eye if possible and make sure you don't bend the needle any more than is necessary. Massaging the throat of the splice or bringing the stitching further down can make it easier.

Hey guys, ive broken one needle and it was at the eye trying to pull it through without pliers because I was wiggling the needle.:blushing:

Some tips Old Snake gave me a while back:thumbup1:

If you are pushing the needle in close to throat of the splice it can be real hard, if you bend the splice when you try and push the needle through its just compressing the fibres in one side and putting the other side under tension making it harder to push the needle through with the sailmakers palm and increasing the chance of you flexing the needle. Once its part way through get some smooth flat pliers and try and pull it out straight.

Lock stitching near the splice can be a PITA:001_rolleyes:

Cheers for the tips fellas, i really like the look of Paul Smith comment. that look like exactly what i am after, as long as the needle isnt to big diameter. will have a look at thoses Bristol rope ones too.

i was pretty much doing what mention here, basically its just a proper pain in ass near the splice. How far back from the splice do you think is ok to do whipping? with the lock stitching doing its job?

just sometimes if you go so close to splice with the whipping, can take more work than actually doing the splice.

mog