Welcome to the Arbtalk.co.uk | Discussion Forum for Arborists.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-01-12   #1 (permalink)

Tapers for splicing XTC ?

Climbed on my splices for the first time today after finally being able to produce good , neat splices consistanly. Went well. I've still got confidence issues with it but i have made up a small rope to test to destruction vs a Bowline.

Anyway , when i was right up by my anchor point my hitch wouldn't grip the rope over the splice , i'm assuming its because its slightly smaller in diameter ? Now i have been using the Samson instructions but i'm sure someone mentioned only removing 9 strands for the taper on XTC ?

Also what length are people doing the crossover tapers on the cover and core ? The samson crossover is 11" and i've been doing around a 10" taper , i'm sure Samson say taper over 6.5" but i found that left a lump ?

Any tips ?

Jim
Old 04-01-12   #2 (permalink)
Senior Member, Raffle sponsor 2009

Re: Tapers for splicing XTC ?

Yeah I've always found the 6.5 leaves a lump too. I do a 10 taper/ x over and never had an issue with te hitch holding. Donaghys spark requires only 8 be removed to avoid the skinniness, though that's no help to you
Old 04-01-12   #3 (permalink)

Hmmm. I have been climbing on the Howard/Knut combo which is a bit tempermentle to soften the transition to hitchclimber. Maybe the faithful Distel will be better.
Old 04-01-12   #4 (permalink)
Site Moderator, Raffle Sponsor 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010

I do around the 10" taper on the x over too.
Old 04-01-12   #5 (permalink)
Senior Member, Raffle sponsor 2008, 2009, 2010

Hey Jim the crossover on 16 strand can take a while to get perfect. Either a bit skinny or wee little lump?
To get mine spot on i just imagine a kind of rectangle and your drawing an imaginary diagonal line from corner to to corner. The object is to lose about 50% from either tail so as you bury them they sit nice and snug

You've got my number mate if you need further assisstance

Your ropeguides all spliced up too just got to whip it and it'll be on its way.!
Old 17-01-12   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by old snake View Post
Hey Jim the crossover on 16 strand can take a while to get perfect. Either a bit skinny or wee little lump?
To get mine spot on i just imagine a kind of rectangle and your drawing an imaginary diagonal line from corner to to corner. The object is to lose about 50% from either tail so as you bury them they sit nice and snug

You've got my number mate if you need further assisstance

Your ropeguides all spliced up too just got to whip it and it'll be on its way.!
Cheers Hadleigh,

Think i've cracked it now. Only been removing 9 strands of the covers instead of 10. Also leaving 2 full strands of cover and core then tapering back from those in the crossover. Much better.

Can't wait to get that RG.