Conflicting advice about coppicing alder

From What is coppicing? | coppice.co.uk

"...For example, common alder coppices poorly..."

From http://www.forestryjournal.co.uk/newsitefiles/2010/0410/Coppicing.pdf

"...a relatively few species like common alder which strongly coppice..."

In fairness, the first link is the only one that said it wasn't suitable for coppicing but with a domain name like that, you'd expect it to be an authority...

Not fully read the links but I've coppice tons of alder, lots of it massively over stood, and had almost 100% success with regrowth, can't comment too much on the longevity of the regrowth as most of this has been in the last 4 years but its all still going strong. I also know that all the riverbanks round my way (herefordshire/shropshire) used to be coppiced on a semi regular basis and most of it is alder. its only in the least 30 - 50 years that it has come out of rotation.

I felled a load of mature trees a few years back. Some died but most coppiced strongly and are well on the way to providing another crop. I'm sure that if they are initially coppiced when yang and strong, they would coppice readily. People have made fortunes out of alder coppice when charcoal was in big demand. I love it. Grows fast, dries quickly, splits readily and burns well. Alder coppice is what we should be planting on our flood planes.

• Thanks 1