Soaring eagle. Newbie.

Gnome

Greetings.

I've been visiting this site for some time. Started using a chainsaw on the estate grounds after the severe winter weather at the beginning of the year more out of necessity than anything else. Got kitted out with PPE and couple of saws and got my CS30. I got the chainsaw carving an eagle book which many will be familiar with to give it a go. Pretty hooked now.

I've made a few bits and bobs since and got an alaskan mill to make some benches. Just testing to see whether the picture loads correctly for now.

The local scarecrow competition is being judged at the end of the week and this year the chainsaw has opened up more possibilities. Hopefully I can upload a pic with the cup !!!

Cheers.:001_smile:

5976617ee8a9f_Eagle(173x300).jpg.8c64f2482b0cd2c1eeffbf59fb8d813f.jpg

Thanks for the praise.

The bottom wing was left slightly thicker at the back due to a flaw in the wood which i didn't find till i was gradually thinning the wings down . The piece split in two from the neck. there was a doh !!! moment followed by half a dozen big wood screws to get me back on track. chainsaw rested and finished off with angle grinder with 80 grit flap disc. Burned the eye with me little pyrography machine.

The back of the wings don't have any detail. Of the visitors that I have talked to the back of the wings being left wasn't an issue. All well impressed. Haven't told any it was carving by numbers !!!

I'll take a couple of close ups of the back for you. It's quite sturdy due to the weight at the base. It's in a nursing home so I have to make things pretty safe.

I would say positioning the work is key. if its on a pathway it's going to get manhandled. placing it in a quiet corner makes people slow down . Grass or shrubs in front will stop all but the nosiest from touching.

Horse Chestnut. Cuprinol wood preserver 3 coats. :001_smile:

Good stuff that curpinol. I use ronseal decking protector (has wax as well as oil so leaves a wax coating, Splinters recommended it a while back).

The one i have planned (and the wood is upright and ready for me to start, once i get the time) will have a wingspan of about 1.5m, assuming the wood is sound and is going to be placed kinda out-int-the-open. I think i will just extend the 'base' upwards a little. This one i have plenty of time for so i dont have to rush it, not like the recent dog carving

Here's the close ups.

I've used the ronseal on decks before and is good stuff. Just using up what i had but I think i'll give it a coat of the ronseal before winter.

I measured the wing span and it is 150cm (5ft).

Spent most of my time extracting the timber from the woods. I had to do a rough cut in-situ to make it light enough to manouver (up hill) . By that time it was lunch time so I spent 3 hours that afternoon quickly adding detail and sanding so that i had something to show for my efforts.

Had a few pallets stacked and screwed together to make a temporary staging and a couple of big clugs wedged at the base to stop it moving.

:001_smile:

Eaglecloseup2.jpg.9516d038665e5574dc0685a316ac0896.jpg

Eaglecloseup1.jpg.1856edd3267c1d7458716c4cf1705977.jpg