Some simple small deer

EddieJ

You must be stupid was amongst three negative comments that I received today for making this batch of 8" high deer.

I had intended to make 30 of them, but two problems reared their ugly heads. The first being the new band saw blades that I bought. They were packaged wrongly and were two inches too short, then the second problem happened when my one remaining blade snapped half way through!:sad:

dscf3137p.jpg

dscf3144y.jpg

dscf3145ah.jpg

dscf3142s.jpg

The reason for me being called stupid, is that I'm giving my work to children for free. I'm doing an exhibition and demonstration next weekend and wanted to involve children, by getting them to sand up the deer above and then take them home as a reward/pressie. If just one child gets inspired, then I have achieved something good, and yet others only put you down for wanting to be nice.:sad:

Sadly because of the problems with the blades, I'm now stuffed to get them all made in time. They take approx 17mins to cut out, and I just don't have the time. Today was my one shot.

they are fab i love deer in fact i love deer so much i named my son Roe

i once made a bird box at a country fair 15 years later it is still in my parents garden. i have made loads since and now make them with my kids. dont listen to the critics they just wish they were doing it.

They look fantastic! How come some people (like you!) are so talented? I tried woodturning once and made some lovely round firewood!

I'm not the only one then!!!:lol:

But brilliant deer and a brilliant inspiration to the kids!!!!

Many thanks for the positive replies, it would have been nice to have got the rest done, but I reckon that the off cuts will do just as well.

Can I ask how you cut out and get an inward curve on the antlers?

I can't take any credit for the deer, as I found them on this link, which shows exactly how to make them. Cutting a 3-D reindeer on the bandsaw