Cut and chuck vs rigging.

TIMON

As an older climber I tend to favour rigging when dismantling. It takes more thought, planning and time to set the systems up but I find that I'm not so knackered at the end of the day. I'm also noticing that our groundies are getting more of an interest in the work and kit as they become more involved in the technical side of the work. This has promoted better teamwork, and a marked improvement in levels of skill and understanding and care of kit throughout our team. The more I do it the more I am seeing the benefits.

I'm not saying that I would rig stuff when there is absolutely no need but just wondered what everyone else thinks and how they approach this.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'll usually cut and chuck when the groundies are up against it. Keeps them free.

Then again I took down a medium ash tree last week in a clear front garden with 3 lads on deck. Could've crashed the lot down but opted to rig whole limbs down so the lads weren't picking up shattered bits of twig all day.

I'll usually cut and chuck when the groundies are up against it. Keeps them free.

Then again I took down a medium ash tree last week in a clear front garden with 3 lads on deck. Could've crashed the lot down but opted to rig whole limbs down so the lads weren't picking up shattered bits of twig all day.

That's often my thoughts on it as rigging avoids everything being smashed up resulting in lots of tidy up and often means larger bits can be turned easier to face the chipper and dragged as 1 instead of needing to be cut up.

Once you have a decent system set up and everyone knows what his role is and with decent communication I think rigging can actually be faster than cut N chuck an a dismantle, pruning not so much so.

I do tend to cut N chuck from the picker but that's mostly as I can get into a much better position for better cuts and to manipulate the brash from a firm stance instead of half upside down in a harness.

Another thing is just undermine the COG and get huge chogs on the ground nice and easy barely no effort.. If your going to go big rigging it will help as well.

I love that trick. No more setting pull lines of pushing blocks over.

It's a satisfying feeling watching it topple over on it's own. "I just made that stem my bitch".

Ive mostly been able to make a nice brash pile and step cut and chuck into the brash pile.

I could probably count on one hand the times ive had to put in blocks and capstans.

To be fair i dont do many really big trees,targets below can be avoided by light rigging with slings and crabs.

I always think rigging looks better from a customers point of view it makes it look like they are getting their monies worth as they wouldn't have the know how to do it can look impressive large lumps being rigged down as their watching.