rig n wrench

Dilz

SO after seeing a couple of videos and a thread about using the rope wrench for rigging I decided to give it a go using the ZK1 and an ISC pulley.

First thoughts were you have to really pull hard to bring the rope with you. even after switching from 14mm to 13mm rope the rope wrench offered a lot of resistance.

Secondly it doesnt work with light pieces at all - it just holds them up. iNfact ihad to go quite big on a pine tree for it run down to the ground at a sensible speed.

Lifting and holding up pieces is much easier.

and i think this where the system comes into its own - control from the top is easy - i.e take control of the rigging line whilst the groundy pulls the tips away from the bushes - towards the chipper etc.

Im getting a pinto rig to use for this set up in the future. The ZK1 i think is perfect for it - at least mine is as i bought the extra split pin which is less fiddly than on the new wrenchs - although i havent tried it with the ISC made wrench yet.

Has any one got any decent tips / insights into using the wrench as a lowering device? As working often in a two man team i think i will use it more often.

I've been using it a fair bit over the last year or so (ZK1 and pinto rig) and I love it, especially like you say in a two man team. it's not for every situation though. I kind of try and assess how heavy the bits are gunna be and then choose a rope accordingly. Mostly I use some old Tachyon though, sometimes Blaze. Tried it with 12mm stable braid and there's just too much friction. Try an old climbing line and I think you'll be pleasantly surprised.

I have the Rig n wrench and have found it very useful. My version is the ZK2 and pinto rig setup bought from treestuff. I use 12 mm marlow braid rigging rope which works brilliantly. I have used Blaze with this setup but it does not provide enough friction I'm guessing as you can't adjust pulley on the zk2 like you can the bollard on the zk1. The devise shines in situations where there is a very small crew and also for 'drifting' loads with a winch system on the ground and rig n wrench in the tree with me. I have found it quite incredible how much weight can be held stationary with it but when you step over the line weight wise it can be a bit scary. Smallish sections only with the rig n wrench.

16 strand 1/2 inch rope seems to be the best I have found. Really play around with double whipping the larger pieces. I have done over 500 lbs in a double whip situation.

For the small pieces They don't come down with out a little assistance, but that is good as you don't need a groundie at all, just cut it and then push it down the tree.