Manitou 628 MLA 120 LSU

Big J

Hi all,

I've bought a telehandler for the yard which comes next week, and was wondering if anyone has had experience with this model:

635125959301101220.jpg

That's not my machine but a google image. Mine is 2002, just over 10000hrs, excellent condition £11750 plus VAT. It's coming from the local farm machinery supplier so it's being extensively serviced before coming to me as well as quite a few new bushes and the like.

I initially thought that it was quite a large machine for my yard, but was surprised at it's nimbleness. It also went to nearly full extension on 3120kg (plated to lift 2800kg) so it should lift 4 tonnes. It will spend it's life dotting around the yard on unprocessed timber handling with a timber grab on the front. The old Coventry Climax will be demoted to permanent shovel loader. Switching between the grab and the shovel this last year has been a pain.

Artic steer telehandlers are an acquired taste, I'm told. Anyone else with one?

Edited by Big J

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They're ok machines, just keep it well serviced and plenty of grease round the boom pins, hitch pins, waxoyl the boom fully out every 500hrs and grease the axles and prop uj's regularly. When driving them watch out for boom out without your wheels straight, full turn tipping load on articulated machines is usually 50-70% of straight tipping load (~2.9tons in your case). With the teleboom this will decrease significantly as you boom out so get your wheels dead straight before booming out with a load, loads of these end up on the side due to this on farms and inexperienced drivers.

How many hours has it done? I assume since its a 2002 its prob got a tier 2 perkins 1104 in it, good engines usually very reliable but do service every 500hrs and they should go on to 10k+ hrs without any major issues.

Hth, Tom (Ag/Construction Equipment Engineer)

Sent from my SM-G800F using Tapatalk

Nice looking machine Big J, the artic steer bit can be a bit unnerving on the turn when lifting but I am sure you will get used to it, you will wonder how you managed without it . We have a grab on our old FDI that seems to do everything we want, the grab arms lift high enough to pick up the tracked chipper as per normal forklift duties , it will also go down small enough to pinch up on a nine inch or five foot plus diameter stick .

fodentipper008_zps0187b9c8.jpg

foden002_zps7a2fc648.jpg

They're ok machines, just keep it well serviced and plenty of grease round the boom pins, hitch pins, waxoyl the boom fully out every 500hrs and grease the axles and prop uj's regularly. When driving them watch out for boom out without your wheels straight, full turn tipping load on articulated machines is usually 50-70% of straight tipping load (~2.9tons in your case). With the teleboom this will decrease significantly as you boom out so get your wheels dead straight before booming out with a load, loads of these end up on the side due to this on farms and inexperienced drivers.

How many hours has it done? I assume since its a 2002 its prob got a tier 2 perkins 1104 in it, good engines usually very reliable but do service every 500hrs and they should go on to 10k+ hrs without any major issues.

Hth, Tom (Ag/Construction Equipment Engineer)

Sent from my SM-G800F using Tapatalk

Granted they are not so stable with the wheels turned but the worst thing I've seen is travelling / turning with the load raised. Always travel with the load as low as possible and of course boom in.

Very versatile type of machine. I've never operated that particular model of manitou but I have tested the equivalent matbro model. I was surprised how manoeuvrable it was and I liked how the load could be shifted from side to side using the steering. Manitou's are really well built machines and very user friendly.

Sounds like you've made a good purchase.

We had 3 in a row before they stopped making them nice machine to use. found the centre pivot a bit light for what we do also regularly needed new fittings on the end of the steering rams as they tended to fail regularly. Also I doubt you will get anywhere near 4 ton on lift the rams would cope but you just lift the back end up