Paid by CIS info wanted

andybike

Hi-Have started out as self employed groundie. Registered as self employed with HMRC. Done some work for a firm -Usual domestic stuff. Charged day rate now have been paid less the 30% tax. Am not registered as CIS so will this cause/be a problem. Other jobs paid normally and will go through books. Am getting sorted with accountant next week.

Do I need certificate for each invoice for CIS.

Thanks for any info/advice.

Andybike

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Used to do rope access work and get paid in this fashion. No expert, but no one else has replied. So.

You can register for CIS on the HMRC website. Have a search on there. Not sure how your employer has already paid you, as you need to be registered for the scheme first, but maybe they are going to back date it. Also I was under the illusion that you got 20% deductions. The only way I can see it being 30% is if they have included class 2 national insurance deductions also. But these depend on you making more that £15k ish profit, which if you have only started and are buying kit etc, may not happen.

Finally, from my own experience it is imperative you get the correct paper work from the employer. Similar to a pay slip on paye. If not, come tax time you will end up paying tax on it again. With the paper work it is marked down as tax already paid. The HMRC won't tell you what has been paid in by the employer even though i'm sure they know. Smart eh!?

Hope this helps, my advice is to pay an accountant to do the book work, they will save your their fee at a minimum. But at the same time collecting All the necessary paper work is your responsibility.

Hi Thanks for the reply. Answered some of my thoughts. Like you unsure how tax paid when they dont have my details. Will be getting an accountant sorted v soon. Did pick out mention of CIS payment cert off the HMRC web site. Thanks for help will have to check this out carefuly.

Thanks Andy

The 30% is if you haven't registered

20% if you have

We are registered as gross contractor so 0%

Seeing this thread had reminded me I put in for a rebate for 3k's worth or tax deducted from a while back 6 months ago, still heard nothing

Perhaps I should send them a fine like the one I got when I was a day late submitting a paye submission

The 30% is if you haven't registered

20% if you have

We are registered as gross contractor so 0%

Seeing this thread had reminded me I put in for a rebate for 3k's worth or tax deducted from a while back 6 months ago, still heard nothing

Perhaps I should send them a fine like the one I got when I was a day late submitting a paye submission

Did you hear about the report into HMRC published today? It was pretty damning of their current operation. Apparently they have well over six months backlog of unopened letters so I wouldn't hold out much hope yet - a written complaint appears to be the only way to get any action at the moment (it worked in my case).

Alec

• 3 weeks later...

I've just got this issue popping up my self.

The contractor we have done some work for are about to deduct money from our invoice.

What is the correct paper work from the employer that I need to ask for that is as you say, Similar to a pay slip on paye.

Just so I can put it on my records that the tax has been paid on that amount.

Sent using Arbtalk Mobile App

http://Www.colwoodlandcare.co.uk