550xp starting and mods?

TheHungrySquirrel

I had a quick search through but couldn't find a great deal.

I have a three week old 550xp and have about 15 tanks through it so far. But it's suffering from mainly hot start issues, sometimes needing 10-15 cranks to get it to fire. Makes no real difference using decomp button or not.

I know the early ones of these had issues, just wondering wether to run it back to fr jones for a check over and maybe carb reset?

Also I have read a few things about exhaust mods improving running on these but can't find a definitive guide.

Thanks

There are no ex mods, you can remove the sparl arrestor, some say this helps, there is some issues with hot starting on this model, it is importent to blank off the tank breather tube to the air filter elbow, this will stop fuel vapour entering the inlet, do not use the the deco valve to re start a hot saw, if it runs out of fuel, purge plenty of times to get cool fuel back into the carb.

I have a three week old 550xp and have about 15 tanks through it so far. But it's suffering from mainly hot start issues, sometimes needing 10-15 cranks to get it to fire. Makes no real difference using decomp button or not.

I know the early ones of these had issues, just wondering wether to run it back to fr jones for a check over and maybe carb reset?

Also I have read a few things about exhaust mods improving running on these but can't find a definitive guide.

Thanks

They all have issues new or old , most dont last 8 months full time in the wood , if you want to go deaf go for the exhaust mod , autotune can be modded for the hot start issue but dont bother as your saw is new , Husky have a service bulletin out for the 550, there is a new cylinder ,autotune unit , top cover , cylinder gasket sealing procedure and new ignition just to cure the problems that the new ones dont have ! get the saw to the dealer get it sorted or exchanged

There are no ex mods, you can remove the sparl arrestor, some say this helps, there is some issues with hot starting on this model, it is importent to blank off the tank breather tube to the air filter elbow, this will stop fuel vapour entering the inlet, do not use the the deco valve to re start a hot saw, if it runs out of fuel, purge plenty of times to get cool fuel back into the carb.

Thanks the saw says use he decomp every start but as you say it seems to start better without the valve in

They all have issues new or old , most dont last 8 months full time in the wood , if you want to go deaf go for the exhaust mod , autotune can be modded for the hot start issue but dont bother as your saw is new , Husky have a service bulletin out for the 550, there is a new cylinder ,autotune unit , top cover , cylinder gasket sealing procedure and new ignition just to cure the problems that the new ones dont have ! get the saw to the dealer get it sorted or exchanged

Thanks, I guess running it back in can't hurt and if it's an issue with the saws then it should be a cheap fix

First thing I do with a new xp saw is take the spark arrester out, been using a 550 xpg for a month or so now and report no problems so far , it's an amazing little saw better than any 346 I've used or 50 cc saw for that matter It becomes a bit boggy when running out of fuel that's the only warning it gives before stopping but have had no issues hot starting.

Thanks

Hi mate ask Justin to run it on the laptop thanks Jon

I know this will sound daft but when starting th saw from hot.. Try moving th on/off switch to turn the choke on then push it down again to turn off, but don't touch the throttle. Try starting th saw like that. Never had any starting faults with both 550 and 560s.

Sent from my GT-S5830i using Arbtalk mobile app

Thanks

- Don't use the decomp. I rather see it plugged on a 50cc small engine. The better the comp, the better it should start, I assume.

- How does the spark plug look? Change the plug and observe hopefully an improvement.

- It's recommended to use Alkylat fuel, eg. Aspen alkylat. (You haven't accidentally put saw chain oil into the fuel tank, it's more common than people admits.)

- Use the air purge, fuel pump.

- Use high idle, if the saw doesn't start right away.

- The tougher you run the saw, the better it gets, is the common saying.

- Isn't AutoTune meant to take care of various driving conditions; from -25C Nordic Winter frost to summer heat weather conditions?